Caribou Gear

How do you guys hunt bears every year?

I have the same dilemma. I enjoy watching them just as much or more than shooting them.

Your lying through your teeth if you say your gonna grab a bear steak that has to be cooked well done over an elk steak right next to it.
Save your keystrokes, I've had breakfast sausage and brats made from duck that were pretty good.

Way too expensive to rug small bears and pretty anti-climatic to walk up on bears that are barely bigger than my big lab. I would
love to shoot a 10+ year old mature big bear though, but they are hard to get on. I feel a little bit hypocritical though, as I'm always
harping that guys need to be shooting and managing predators, but I've let quite a few small black bears walk myself. And felt slightly
guilty about it later because I know the damage they do on the fawns and calves.

It's crucial that some guys have a higher motivation level than me to harvest bears.

I just tan the hides, which is inexpensive and they don't take up much space. I love hunting bears in the spring, can't wait to get out a little but been so busy.

I dont now that I moved. But in Pennsylvania we just had a bear party and pushed the brush and laurel.

you have some beautiful ones Dan. The Grolars I have run into are unusual in color and interesting. As you know I have shot a bear of every color --literally . A lot of good product from a bear

Dan, has certainly harvested his fair share of bears, that is for sure.

I am also glad you mentioned the Grolar. I read a few articles about them 3 or 4 years ago. According to what I read there are at least two reasons the grizzly and polar are breeding more regularly. . the Caribou changed their route in Yukon and N. W. Territories and the grizzly followed them and the grizzly/polar begin breeding. Another theory is the ice is melting and the grizzly has more land to roam into and that land is where the polars have been and are.

I envy You folks who are located where one can hunt the black, brown, white bears--bears, bears and more bears

wllm1313--I agree sir. I have enjoyed bear meat as well. Do I like Dall Sheep, Coues Deer better---yes (-:

Last edited:
Ok well first Im from Pa and we dont have color phase or spring hunting and we cant bait or use scents so its a bit tougher
I start setting cams in june abt 9 then drive 3 hours to check them every 3 weeks all summer move them as needed and closer to the season check them every other week
we have A week long archery season and I take it off have been lucky to get 3 so far in about 8 yrs of bear hunting almost got my 4th last year
here its all about finding the food and setting up on well used trails about 2 to 300 yrds from the food so you can get a shot in day light

Hunting spring black bears with hounds and horses next weekend in the mountains of Utah. Can’t wait! I still would like to harvest a color-phased bear.
8BE7AE35-494B-4583-8F1E-8D8BF7BA503D.jpegWasatch Mountains, Utah. This morning running hounds. Super fun!FE62398B-0FA0-4296-9BB3-39A6C7B0B281.jpegAntique Winchester Model 94 .30-30. No country for old men. Take care, TheGrayRider. (Duplicate post)

I've shot several black bears here in Washington. Last one, I traded the hide & skull to a tannery, helping offset the cost of a couple of other hides I had them tanning.

Kept the meat of course, had some good sausage made from it. No more room in the house for bear rugs. I've got one on the floor. My son put one on the wall. I've got another draped over the footboard of the bed.
Z9FPxHnl.jpg

gOt2pvJl.jpg

This bear's hide & skull were traded to the tannery:
YTcyH4Gl.jpg

I also enjoy the heck out of just watching them and attempting some photography:
U6Rvmezl.jpg

Ft15H16l.jpg

Room in my life for more bear hunting, but not keeping the hides anymore. I'll trade 'em though! :) I don't go every year, but every two or three years I get the urge to bear hunt again. This is one of those years. :)

Guy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back