Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

How do you dispatch wounded birds?

What is your go-to method to quickly and reliably dispatch wounded/crippled birds?

• Ring their neck

Votes: 82 75.2%
  • Hold 'em under water

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Whack 'em on the noggin with a whacker (TM)

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Shoot 'em again point blank

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Shake em like a polaroid picture (or whip it like a hose)

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I'm a perfect shot. Never had a cripple.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 12 11.0%

• Total voters
I was just going to post the picture, but hell that link is hilarious!! Haha

1677117386695.jpeg

When in doubt, choke em out??

Cranes I shoot again
This cracked me up!! I had a stork come back to life on me when I grabbed him two falls back. Naturally I freaked a bit and started swinging him by the head. Halfway through the second pass I was holding a Sandhill lollipop as a giant feathered mass flew about twenty feet! Better than getting clawed up, but I was not expecting that!!

Fast forward to the 1:00 mark for Phil's eternal words of wisdom...

I wring their necks. Gotta know what you're doing with honkers or pheasants. Former are not easy to kill and latter are skilled at taking their pound of flesh before giving up the ghost. Grab those roosters around the cheeks. I had a young one gash me to the bone a few years ago. I grabbed this rooster properly last fall and he still got me with a spur.
20201121_123756.jpg

Put them in a Boston Crab until theyre dead.

R.abfdd19ae55141a2f4fbd04f5a5a20fb

Not a fan of the city, buy boy did its faux-irish residency ever invent a sweet wrestling move. Kudos, Boston.

Smaller birds I flip my side by side over, hold them by their legs and frap their heads on the barrels.
Ducks or geese I usually ring their necks or frap their head on something hard, kinda holding them around their shoulders.
Cranes I shoot again.
I don’t mind a little blood. I don’t like headless birds.
Hunted with a guide in Mexico who would pull a wing feather and stick it in a soft spot where the skull and spine meet…and leave it in, so they all looked like little Indians
Little Indians?
Huh.

I wring grouse. I’ve had a few turkey rodeos in my day. A couple were my fault and some weren’t. I pretty much try and put my heel firmly on the neck until it stops. Harder than you’d think if you’re trying to avoid spurs and not mess up the beard and fan.

On the dispatching subject,couple-3 years back, my friend in his 70s shot grouse all day and thought he would sleep in the back of his truck/canopy/ that night, one of his ''dead'' ruffies came back to life and in the dark it was ''interesting.''.. Finally, after he woke up somewhat, got the canopy door open and the bird left,post haste!!!!! I would have paid good money to see that performance !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back