How did you learn/resources for processing your own game.

I started on the ranch as a kid helping to kill and butcher beef, pigs, and sheep.

I was a big rabbit hunter as a kid. After a while it's just a matter of size. All the muscles are basically the same.

While I get that the way someone like Steve Rinella does it with Osso Bucco and such is cool, I don't have to do that way myself.

There are some other threads out there where I've explained how I age deboned meat in an old refrigerator. Not going to go through all that again here, but you can sure do it Texas.
This can take a lot of the time pressure off of you.

We had a class in high school where we learned to butcher. People in our community brought us cows, pigs and sheep and we sent wrapped meat home to them. I took that for a couple of years. Definitely a great life skill.
I thought we were the only ones. At my High School we had what we called the "canning center'', which was basically a slaughter and butchering facility.

My father-in-law showed me a couple things but I mostly fumbled through it on my own. Each time has gotten easier and as we've learned what we do and don't like, I've been able to speed up the process.

There's a video from an Idaho biologist that I feel provides the best explanation of breaking down elk quarters. His camera is right up close so you can see exactly what he's doing. Some of the Bearded Butcher's videos look to be filmed from across the street so you can't see what they're doing.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back