How Close?

Layin_It_Down

Ok, This is my first season with a traditional bow. How close do I need to be to shoot an elk? I finally got my first available shot this morning at 20 yards. The wind was perfect, the bull was eating. His front leg was forward and his head was looking in the opposite direction. I pulled back and focused completely. I let er' fly and watched the bull pick his head up, drop his back and spin out of the line of fire. Then I watched as my arrow flew past and into a bush. Now.....with a compound, that bull would be hangin' up. Guess I'm not used to the slower bow. I was tickled pink that I even got a shot. Was this just kind of a freak deal or do I need to wait for that 5 or 10 yard shot? Any veteran Traditionalists out there want to weigh in?

The elk movement isn't a bow-specific issue. In fact, all animals will "jump the string" if they are alert enough/see the arrow coming their way. So, assuming the arrow is moving at a reasonable speed, just aim lower than normal because they drop when they see that flying object headed their way. ;)

don't get discouraged at all. Every animal acts differently. Its not the speed necessarily in fact your stick bow is likely quieter on release than a compound. I've had animals jump the string with both compound and my recurve. However, just take shots your confident at and keep on trying. One of my good hunting partners has killed over 40 elk with his recurve along with about every other big game animal in North America and they are very effective killing machines when you get good at them. It will come together for you, you just have to expect your going to get less than half the shots with it than your bow with training wheels:):)LOL

I shoot a recurve and I'm comfortable out to 30 when everything's right, but prefer critters to be 20 and under. I had a huge 380ish bull at 35 a few weeks ago and it was just far enough out of my comfort zone that I didn't draw on him...and no cover to move closer...I'm still thinking about that one on a daily basis but I'm good with my decision.

This year makes 20 years with a bow for me. But this is my first season with a traditional. I'm tired of all the hipe and technology with the new compounds and the gear that go with them. I feel they are taking away from archery. That is why I switched. I've taken lots of elk and deer and I understand that an alert bull or deer will jump a string. I've never had a non-alert bull jump though. That's what had me so baffeled. I've been shooting out to 30 yards, but comfortable and consistant at 20 or less. I passed on a nice 6 at 25 this year already because it was just out of my comfort zone. I absolutely love the stick and string and will shoot anything that walks by and offers a clean shot. Not worried if it takes me a few years to get it done. It's funny that I've already passed on a number of bulls that I could have taken with my other bow, but the addrenaline rush I got yesterday morning was like I was a kid and it was my first time out again. AWESOME!!!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back