How close to camp?

Two years ago I had an antelope tag in a unit where I often hunt elk (with minimal success) during archery season. I took my 9 year-old son along, and we tagged out on my antelope in a few hours of hunting. He wanted to “camp out” one more night, and we spent the rest of the day taking care of the meat, shooting a .22, and then had a big campfire. That night the bugling around us was so close and constant that I could hardly sleep. It was the final week of the MT archery season, but I had left my bow at home. The next morning I could hear a bull bugling very close, and 5 minutes later a large 6x6 pushed his cows nearly through our camp. They passed within 75 yards of my truck, and within 40 yards of our fire ring. All in a general unit in Montana. I doubt I’ll ever be so lucky again.

Dont really think the camp location matters that much. . .

i would feel fine being around 1/4 mile from some of the areas id hunt.

Depending on where you're hunting, if you are a mile away, there is probably someone who is closer. Lookin at you OTC Colorado...

It had gotten too late to make a move on elk from our glassing spot, so son and I walked back to camp. I told him to check the small meadow below camp when we got there. He dropped his first bull 200 yards from the tent.

I've ridden by camps on my way to where I've killed elk. I've also found a backpacker tent in the head of a drainage where I'd killed an elk. He probably could have watched me shoot it. Plenty of stories of deer and elk killed from camp or within view of camp.

My rule of thumb is to camp where it is convenient. Somewhere that gives you access to multiple glassing spots in the morning within what is comfortable hiking distance in the morning before daylight. Chances are there are some historic spots that people have used in the summer and previous hunting seasons. Especially if in steep country with limited water.

Camp near good water, at least 200 feet away from surface water and the trail.
Stay out of the saddle that animals crossing would naturally use.
Don't camp in dead standing timber
Tuck back in the tree line so your movement and tent isn't visible to the whole basin.
Figure out 3 loops from camp you can hunt without the wind giving you away, or how far from camp that point is.
I like having a good glassing point for the evening where I can watch somewhere to make a plan for the morning.
Thick country where you are having to call and move more might have you moving camp more often since you can't see as far. Work one drainage a morning, evening and morning. No joy, then move midday and pick the next drainage.

A timber sale had been posted in our hunting area for a few years. The sale finally went though, the areas that have been clear cut are so thick with grass now that the elk are pushing the cows and sheep out. All the years I logged, we always had elk in and around our equipment while we were working. We never had problems filling our tags.

All depends on a multitude of factors. In my MT general archery elk area, I backpack in and set up a spike camp on a high bench above a spring for water purposes. I've killed bulls anywhere from 200 yds from spike camp to a mile from spike camp. Basically, I'm hunting once I leave the tent. No fires, no noise helps. There is a killer wallow 350 yards from my tent. Camp location has no effect on its use.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back