Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

How big is this bull?

troydave

Took these pictures a couple of weeks ago when hunting in the Charles M Russell refuge. Was raining pretty good so I couldn't get around to hunt and decided to sit at the Slippery Ann viewing area just to watch the elk. I just about peed my pants when this guy showed up. How big is this bull? He has the longest main beams of any elk I have seen. I am thinking in the 370s but I am not an expert. I had planned on being over there again this week but the feds say that I can't. Sorry about the grainy pictures but it was raining pretty hard.

Attachments

• elk hunt 031.jpg
    elk hunt 031.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,257
  • elk hunt 034.jpg
    elk hunt 034.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,247
  • elk hunt 024.jpg
    elk hunt 024.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,255
I'd say 380 for sure, maybe a little bigger.

Fronts are really good, 3rds are decent, 4ths are good, 5ths are good, main beams are great, mass isn't great considering how big he is everywhere else, but I bet still solid.

Lets say fronts are 19" all around, 3rds are 16", 4ths are 20", 5ths are 12", main beams are 55", spread is 40", mass is 58". That puts him right at 380".

Last edited:
I'm lookin at the pics of a bull a non-resident hunter took when I was guiding in SW Mt back in 2000, for comparison, and they're almost identical... That bull was a little bigger in some areas like width and overall mass, & he scored 419"...

I'd say this bull would squeak by at 400"...

I am glad that you all enjoyed the pictures. I know I felt blessed just to see such a beautiful animal. The funny part is he wasn't even the dominant bull in the field that night. A broken up 6x6 was putting the run on any bull that came close to his harem of about 40 cows. I guess it just shows you don't have to be the biggest, just the meanest! I tried that in high school but it didn't work for me!!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back