Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

How are The Breaks looking this year for deer?

Pretty much just wondering exactly what the title says! My brother and I and one of his friends are going on a boat in deer trip the second week of November. Just wondering how deer numbers are in that part of the state this year? I personally am not expecting to see giants everywhere and have a pick of the prize but I would expect to see some respectable representations of the Mule Deer species!

Honestly, I am more excited to see the country for the first time up close and spend a few days with my brother more than anything.

I've talked to people in that area , friends that have ranches there , and few guys that were out last week , sounds like the numbers a best they have been since mid 2000's . Size sounds good too . I can't wait to get there . 3rd week of November . Should be rutting like hell

There is NOT deer in every coulee that is for sure.
We just where in a lot of it a week ago 80 miles.
Water is low as normal BE CAREFUL in your Boat.
There is deer , always was. BUT you gota get off the boot and go look.
There is a good supply of coyotes.
May be frozen at least the ramps.

This may not be best time to judge how many deer are around . Colder weather and beginning of rut will bring them out in a week or ten days

Thanks for the replies fellas. Its good to hear the deer fared well last winter. Like I said before, I am looking forward to a few days with my brother in country I've never been to more than anything. And Coyotes, we will definitely be putting on some miles. Non of us are scared to get out of the boat!

Well we leave tomorrow for our hunt! Looking forward to a fun adventure with good people. I will post a thread of the results when I get home!

Were leaving tomorrow morning for the breaks also. Can anyone tell me how much snow is on the ground? How are the roads going to be next week when it warms up a bit?

There isn't a lot of snow on the ground but I'm guessing it will get a little soupy this weekend with the temperatures warming a bit. A buddy and his dad just packed out a bull yesterday morning and he said it was getting slick in spots once it warmed up in the early afternoon. With temperatures into the 40s over the next few days it could get interesting in there.

Just got back today. The roads in HD 410 are mostly snow packed and were getting slick. If you have chains, it wouldn't hurt to take them with you for going up or down some of those steep hills. It snow about 4" and it snow a little bit every day. The Mule deer are just starting to show interest in the does. I did not see a lot of "big" bucks, but they may not have shown up yet. I did, however, see quite a few fork-horn and/or 3-points. I hope folks don't shoot all of them and let get a little older.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back