Caribou Gear

Houses and Power lines

Wow, thanks for all the comments guys!

You can't see the power line poles as the backyard is lined with private fences. It is probably one of the biggest lots around within a 5 mile radius(to where you really start getting too far for a downtown commute) and any that do compete in lot size are going to be going for 200-300k more than this place and most likely are run down homes/bad parts of town. There was an article how a house with a 1 acre lot here sold for over asking of $450k and the house was so dilapidated no one was allowed to enter it. There's neighborhoods where this same line goes through and we watched a 1000sf home, needs updating, on .25acre lot go for $500k.

I figured and did not plan on building under it, maybe a shed.

My meter is on a pedestal far from the house. Still often wondered about the powerline that runs into a panel on the outside of a bedroom.

So much uneducation with these paranoias it's making my head hurt! I agree with above, wait until you find one that won't bug you.

One thing to consider is that in a booming market anything will sell. In a not so booming market, not so much. Maybe the market will always be booming, maybe the stock market will always be booming.

And where we are, the market is insanely fast and booming. I looked at homes along the same power-line and there's a new neighborhood with houses built in the last year going for 30k more than the home we're looking at with 10-20% of the lot size of the one we're looking at.

And where we are, the market is insanely fast and booming. I looked at homes along the same power-line and there's a new neighborhood with houses built in the last year going for 30k more than the home we're looking at with 10-20% of the lot size of the one we're looking at.

It's nuts up there right now. I had a cousin move to the east side of the state from the South Hill/Puyallup area last year. Their house set a record for the realtor for number of showings in 24 hour period and sold for cash, $25K above asking price, within 48 hours.

It's nuts up there right now. I had a cousin move to the east side of the state from the South Hill/Puyallup area last year. Their house set a record for the realtor for number of showings in 24 hour period and sold for cash, $25K above asking price, within 48 hours.

Sounds about par for the course ha!

Basically what it boils down to is, if you want the house/property then buy it! Just go in with your eyes open so you don't get blindsided when or if you decide to sell it in the future. A bigger lot IS much more fun than a postage stamp lot in the city somewhere with neighbors on top of you, and an easement can be good for setting up something like an archery target, horseshoes, go cart track, llama grazing, etc...

My wife and I have been house hunting up here for the last 4mo. Finally we feel like we've found out spot, BUT.... there's 3 rows of 115kV power lines that span over .25ac of our .9ac lot. Granted they don't span over the house at all and when we saw the house last night they don't buzz or crackle.

Don't do it unless you test. Find someone with a Trifield meter and scan for electromagnetic radiation. Can't tell for sure unless you scan.

My wife and I have been house hunting up here for the last 4mo. Finally we feel like we've found out spot, BUT.... there's 3 rows of 115kV power lines that span over .25ac of our .9ac lot. Granted they don't span over the house at all and when we saw the house last night they don't buzz or crackle.

We really like the house and think we could get it for a great price but should this be concerning?

Oh and we're just north of Seattle where the average lot size is probably 6000SF.
There's a reason you can get it for a great price. There's zero chance I'd buy it.

I've been working on high voltage power lines for 30 years and no ill effects to me or any other linemen present or past.
I don’t think the issue is whether or not there is an actual health risk (science says there isn’t), it’s that the irrational concern of future buyers places at risk a family’s single largest investment (their home).

I grew up and still own the property we lived on and farmed. Bonneville power bought our house 3 times and moved it because they kept putting in new lines and our house was under the new lines. When I moved off the farm I bought a house with power lines behind us. Other than noise in the rain and yes they will remove any trees with potential problems there is no issues except resale because they are mis understood. I guess they do kill, my dad lived under them for 50 years. It finally killed him, or was the the can of Copenhagen every day. He never got cancer from either.

One of my friends in high school lived under one. You kind of frown involuntarily every time you pull in the driveway. It’s impossible to enjoy being outside in your yard. My friend’s dad found a way to live in a nice neighborhood on a blue collar income. It was worth it to him. I wouldn’t have lived there for free.

Nope, not living under those. Might be harmless. Might be quiet. Might not be quiet a week from now. If something is confirmed re power lines being harmful then good luck finding a buyer if you were to sell. My 2 cents.

Just a week ago ‘Power lines cause cancer’ would have been near the top of the list of stupid things seemingly intelligent people believe.

After ‘gut farts’ it seems fairly reasonable really.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sinhba
Back