Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Houses and Power lines

teej89

My wife and I have been house hunting up here for the last 4mo. Finally we feel like we've found out spot, BUT.... there's 3 rows of 115kV power lines that span over .25ac of our .9ac lot. Granted they don't span over the house at all and when we saw the house last night they don't buzz or crackle.

We really like the house and think we could get it for a great price but should this be concerning?

Oh and we're just north of Seattle where the average lot size is probably 6000SF.

Keep in mind if there are trees that the power company is probably responsible for keeping trees away from lines and poles. They will clear cut an area around the poles every few years.

EMF don't do it.

I know there most likely are no statistics to prove it but a girl I went to highschool lived under a powerline and died of Brian Cancer in her 20's

A qualified appraiser will understand how to properly appraise a parcel encumbered by a transmission easement. It does reduce value.
Keep in mind you’re not restricted from using the land entirely, and of course it depends on the terms of the easement and that particular utility. Where I work, we allow a lot of stuff. We don’t allow permanent structures or trees or fences without 16’ gates and our lock on it, or major changes to grade that could compromise minimum clearance requirements or the integrity of the pole structures.

EMF don't do it.

I know there most likely are no statistics to prove it but a girl I went to highschool lived under a powerline and died of Brian Cancer in her 20's

I don’t put any stock in these concerns, but this one reason you will have far fewer interested buyers when you decide to sell. I personally wouldn’t buy it for the resale reason alone, but I suppose if you get a super low price you can afford to take the haircut at resale time.

There are alot of people that believe it causes cancer. Meters these days are read wirelessly (no meter reader) but people have the option of paying a one time fee then a monthly fee to have them exchanged for an analog meter and monthly analog reading. A lot of people do that. And it isn’t the tinfoil hat weirdos in their trailers in sticks requesting them, it’s in the million dollar homes of retired Californians.
They request these of course by calling with their cell phones..

Last edited:
There are alot of people that believe it causes cancer. Meters these days are read wirelessly (no meter reader) but people have the option of paying a one time fee then a monthly fee to have them exchanged for an analog meter and monthly annual reading. A lot of people do that. And it isn’t the tinfoil hat weirdos in their trailers in sticks requesting them, it’s in the million dollar homes of retired Californians.
They request these of course by calling with their cell phones..
Are you conflating a meter transmitter to high voltage power lines in the backyard? I guess both are out there in the spectrum of uninformed paranoia. I work with a guy who's afraid of microwaves because they "change the molecular structure of water." SMH

It's been 4 months...what's another 1 or 2 months. Dont spend house kinda money on something your concerned about or unsure of. Not just the money but u gotta live there and with that thought everytime you pull in the driveway and look out the window.
Basically what I'm saying is dont settle for this place because the house search has been grueling. I've been there and feel your pain.

Are you conflating a meter transmitter to high voltage power lines in the backyard? I guess both are out there in the spectrum of uninformed paranoia. I work with a guy who's afraid of microwaves because they "change the molecular structure of water." SMH
I have a far left friend who runs out of the room when a microwave oven is used. He smokes organic cigarettes you just never know what he is gonna come up with next

That might be the height of stupidity there. I mean, some people do stupid stuff without really thinking about it, but that's like shooting yourself in the head with a copper bullet because you don't want to die from lead poisoning.
bruh, listen to me. Tobacco is a natural plant. Ciggies get a bad rap because corporations fill them full of chemical additives.
they’re not just natural, they’re vegan, gluten free and do not contain lactose products.

It definitely makes resale tougher and will affect appraisal values. There is nothing to worry about regarding medical problems from the powerlines. With transmission lines, the power company will be in there doing routine maintenance frequently and there isn't much you can do about it. You can make sure they don't damage the land, but they will basically access whenever it is necessary. DO NOT plant trees or anything else under the line unless it is a low growing species with a max height of 25'. I don't know about that area, but in MT the power company flies Transmissions lines at least once a year with a helicopter to inspect them for pole damage, broken crossarms, encroaching trees, and any other defects. They move really quickly, but it is something to be aware of.

Before you go through with the sale I'd be taking a look at the current easement for the power lines to see what kind of verbiage is included in the document.

All easements are worded differently and can allow different types of activities.

Also, the easement might be larger than you expect. I would try and find out if a boundary survey has been completed on the parcel. That will show you the location and width of the easement in question.

I wouldn't buy it because:

a. The resale will be less $ and more difficult
b. The power co. will destroy any trees in their easement, and you most likely can't build anything in their easement
c. They're ugly
d. When it's windy they will likely make noise, and it's not a wind-in-the-pines noise

Last edited:
Back