hounds.........bcat?

Elkhunter-Yes cat dogs are lots of times bear dogs or coon dogs for that matter. I think bear dogs being the final product. When I started the dog I had was a coon dog and she easily adapted to lions. I know of some lion dogs that will run a bear in a minute, so I guess it works. If they have the instinct to hunt its not hard to get them crossed over. Just a little patience and work.bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

bcat,

This may be totally different when training a lion hound, but when some of the guys here tried to switch coonhounds over to coyotes they would try to get three or four dogs going at a time.
Sometimes when they tried them 1 at a time the coyote would fight the dog and kick it's butt.After a few encounters with the yotes it was hard to get the dog to run them again.
They did much better if there were several dogs because they encouraged each other to run and a yote wasn't as likely to take on three or four hounds.
Is it that way when switching over from coon to lions?

------------------
Chambo

gunslinger.gif

IF IT WAS EASY EVERYBODY WOULD BE DOING IT !!!

http://www.hunttalk.com

Chambo-I would have to say lions are different than coyotes! At least most of them! Lions are just like a housecat. Any kind of dog scares them . Many a lion has been treed with one dog. You can tree a lion with a poodle if the snow isnt too deep and the poodle hates cats. I know a guy with a litle dog that weighs 15 pounds, some kind of Jack Russel Terrier. He trees lions with the little dog regualerly! If theylll hunt coons or bears theyll hunt lions. The worst problem most houndsman have is their deer chasing dogs. Lions run where the deer and elk are and if ya have one mutt in the bunch that will run a deer, it wont be long before they are all doing it. This is where ya see most of the two and three year old dogs for sale. They cant be broke from chasing deer and the owner doesnt have the guts to just shoot it or sell it to a deer hunter somewhere. Many a new houndsman has been ripped off buying deer chasing SOBS, that just simply cant be broke off it!!! Its not the lions that are hard to tree with one dog at all! Even a mean poodle! bcat

------------------
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

That's funny about the Jack Russell terrier! Just goes to show that it's the size of the fight in the dog and not the size of the dog in the fight! We've had lions taking Rottweillers and Dobermans here in So Cal, right out of people's backyards. It may also have to do with the cats tying "people" and dogs together...in other words, fearing the dogs because they equal "Man with a gun." Here, where lion hunting i sillegal, they no longer fear Man. (Man = snack?)

Calif Hunter-You notice I said "usaully"! The front range of colorado is on my backdoorstep! People have overwhelmed the forest with housing developments, and have invaded lion territory much like California, only californias problem is there is NO LION season any more!!!! Lions that find out that they are not afraid of dogs are TROUBLE!!!!!!!!! DOnt matter if ya have a 500 pound dog!!! Once they figure out they can eat them, they DO!!!!!! ANd they dont quit! Thats the houndsmans worst nightmare here, because Colorado has been known to release problem lions of late after trapping and darting them, into Wyoming!!! They wont admit it but the proof is in the dog eating lions that have turned up here over the last couple years. Once the fear is gone ya better watch yer dogs. I lost one last winter to one of these lions, and it wasnt pretty! bcat

------------------
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

bcat, I was in NC one time and ran into a guy w/ some beagles. I asked him if he was going rabbit hunting. He just looked at me and said "NO, we have been bear hunting." You could have knocked me over w/ a stick. I didn't know weather to laugh because it was a joke or to beleave him. Now that I think about it, I think he was serious! hehehe

------------------
rabbit2.gif

Boomer,

That feller may have been pulling your leg a bit! I may be totally wrong, but I have never saw or heard of a beagle that would tree!
It may be that I have not seen the right snoopy dog
smile.gif
But I have yet to see of hear of folks using snoopy as a tree hound
smile.gif

Thumper

Anybody else ever hear or see this????

------------------
sneaky.gif

IF YA CAN'T RUN WITH THE BIG DAWGS, KEEP YOUR ARSE ON THE PORCH

http://www.geocities.com/thumper_67.geo

I have seen several beagles tree, matter fact one the best dogs I ever hunted around was half beagle/half walker, was about a 35 pd male, hardest, stay put treedog I ever been around, was my buddys main strike dog till he meet a bear tougher then him.

------------------
chewin_md_clr.gif
GatoMan

Yes Lion dogs can and most time are also used on bear. As for Jack russels i couldnt telly ya Im sure they will work . due to the Fact i use German Jadg terriers and Mtn curs. and when it come down to it I think the Jadgs will run with the big dogs.what it all boils down to is the heart inside the dog.

------------------
If there isn't any dogs in heaven .....IAINT GOIN

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back