Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hot tents

Thanks for the input everyone. I was just thinking something for two people incase I go with someone, I should’ve specified that. Then thinking splitting the stove and tent between two packs. I like the idea of these tents for drying stuff out, cooking, and overall comfort/the mental comfort when it gets pretty cold. I’ve spent some chilly nights in my 3 person backpack tent, but was looking at running this and a lighter, higher end quilt; which would be just a little more in weight but a lot more in comfort for me.

I’ve spent some chilly nights in my 3 person backpack tent, but was looking at running this and a lighter, higher end quilt
Take a look at the Enlightened Equipment Convert. We got some from their custom site and they are maybe my all-time favorite piece of gear.

I'm joining some goat hunters this weekend up in the snow. My SO Backcountry Shelter (I believe it is a tall version of the Cimmaron) and LiteOutdoors titanium stove are going. It could be our only way to dry gear between the bunch of us so the weight is worth it. I also bring a small handsaw to get some of the bigger branches trimmed to the right length which also helps warm a person up a touch.

I typically use a tarp for car camping or a single groundcloth for when it's just me. With fresh and possibly melting snow, I'm going to have to up my ground cover game. Since I'm not carrying a bow/firearm, the weight on my back is negligible to me.

I'm joining some goat hunters this weekend up in the snow. My SO Backcountry Shelter (I believe it is a tall version of the Cimmaron) and LiteOutdoors titanium stove are going. It could be our only way to dry gear between the bunch of us so the weight is worth it. I also bring a small handsaw to get some of the bigger branches trimmed to the right length which also helps warm a person up a touch.

I typically use a tarp for car camping or a single groundcloth for when it's just me. With fresh and possibly melting snow, I'm going to have to up my ground cover game. Since I'm not carrying a bow/firearm, the weight on my back is negligible to me.
You might as well put your pants/socks in the wash and get them good and wet before you start hiking. I think that's what people mean by acclimatization. :D

One of those "functional while wet" jaunts, as opposed to the "how can I stay dry" types I imagine. I had one of those Sat., soaked to the nuts all day long.

If you get it down to 35 lbs minus sustenance I'd like to hear the bag dump.
Yeah a bag dump would be cool. I am still guilty of packing way to much stuff whether it is food, clothes, extra muzzleloader stuff.etc..
Here is my list from a deer hunt last year. Along with food and water, it doesn’t include what I was wearing on the hike in (boots, pants, shirt).
Gear List.png

Last edited:
Holy crap, zip ties! I didn't replace them in my kit...you might very well be a lifesaver Pelican...nice list, and excellent timing.

Is your EE bag a 20 or a 10 degree?

I travel often. I often have to buy things for travel. Tell me where you can see tents, etc.

Last edited:
If I'm going to live outdoors for a few days, I'm going to choose a durable hot tent. The ultralight tent can be damaged easily, which will disrupt my entire itinerary.

Do you guys with hot tent stoves use that to boil water or do you still take your pocket stove and fuel?

Do you guys with hot tent stoves use that to boil water or do you still take your pocket stove and fuel?
Use the wood stove to cooking. We will put the kettle on the stove after cooking. Actually, the pocket stove is unnecessary when you take the wood stove.

This is a very interesting topic for me. Looking for something lighter and warmer than what I just got rid of.
My one and only issue/question is, how do you deal with no floor in your tent? Keeping stuff clean? Bugs, mice?

This is a very interesting topic for me. Looking for something lighter and warmer than what I just got rid of.
My one and only issue/question is, how do you deal with no floor in your tent? Keeping stuff clean? Bugs, mice?
You can put your stuff on the woods.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back