Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

horse rental?

My original question was about renting horses or mules. I have heard that mules are more sure footed and I know that a lot of people use them for hunting. I have never ridden a mule however.

I have hunted Lion and Elk from mules. Very sure footed in snow and ice....more than horse. I've stayed on a mule where I would have led a horse.
Also played rodeo on one but done that on a horse a cupplathree times.
Had a dumb horse get all four feet on ice under snow once on a steep side hill in NV....all four legs went out from under him and I was lucky to get my uphill leg out from under him. Then the sumbeech would not get up! Had to get his legs and slide him down hill to bare ground! Had a mule in Idaho put one foot in similar situation in ID and he backed up and felt his way around it! Loose reins and giving an animal his head can be good! Or bad if a grouse flushes or a burnout stob hits it in the flank or a jack rabbit flushes between his front feet----the latter rodeo was a knockout concussion and three broke ribs since we were within a half mile of the trailer, on flat ground and some dubazz was resting his knee out of the stirrup from standing in the stirrups off the Mountian in the dark....gee we are back to the trailer, let's relax and be stupid!
And horses apparently see alligators in streams they have wade five times before with no problem----in ID.One suddenly humped up and tried to jump a ten foot stream and the reared and bucked when he didn't make it----end of hunt for my buddy---broke collar bone.
Watched a guy from Maine and his horse almost go down a 500 ft side hill in the Scapegoat----horse managed to stay on trail when the dude fell off and grabbed a tree about 50 feet below us----blue grouse flush.
Rode one in AK that walked into soft spot in Tundra til he was up above his knees sunk in ---stupid horse---I slid off his azz and guide roped him and pulled him back.
It is a damn good horse that won't try to rub you up against a tree or take you under a low hanging limb.
But it beats walking!

Last edited:
(Great horror stories.) This is OYOA, yes? Being 'stupid', falling off the horse and almost off the mountain makes for a good memory, better story if you saw it, and man, what an experience. You can probably find someone to pack your meat out for ya. That is not on-your-own though. The reason I love this sight so much is, the folks on here like to get after it, and do-it-yourself! You put on a lot of miles already, or 'hiked in'. You have a good feel for the area, and maybe have an idea where the elk are, or will be? SO. Rent that horse, the tack, bring in the feed, save your back, and make certain you rent, or purchase panyards. I would suggest not riding the horse. Use it to pack. Or, pack up your panyards, get back in there and bivy-up! We have been doing this very thing for almost 10 years. I never ride the dam things. note: I have some great stories of stupidity like most who have their own, or rent their horses or mules, but doing it on your own is pretty special! Good luck with your solution.

Last edited:
We have always done it on our own. It seems more rewarding and satisfying that way. If you are going to pay someone to do it for you, why not just go to the store and buy the meat. Here in North Carolina a lot of hunters don't even butcher their own deer, which I don't understand. It is easy and doesn't take long to do. I have always cut up my own and also make sausage and jerky, it is part of the hunting experience. Sorry, I get easily side-tracked. Just looking at the horse rental as a way to make our hunting better. After reading some of the "adventures" of others though, we may just walk in and carry the meat out on our backs. That sounds a lot safer.

Back