Hornady ELX - No Good for Hunting Elk???

lmao 🤣
I suppose the elk I shot this year was concerned about penetration, maybe that’s why he went less than 50 yards and died with his insides turned to soup! Didn’t have 1 speck of damage to the meat! Same with my bull last year at 550 yards using a 140 Berger target hybrid, put the bullet where it’s meant to go, center of the lungs! = dead every time!
Matt
2021 - 6.5x.284
2022 - 6.5x.300 wheatherby mag
View attachment 253377
I love being proven wrong. Especially since I personally love the 143 eldx.

I shot elk and mule deer last yr in Idaho with 175 gr.. went down in their tracks
No issues

Not sure yet myself. Been shooting the 212-grain Eld-X in the .30-06 for a couple of years. One-shot kills on deer and last year's big cow elk, shot through the front of the brisket at only 50-60 yards. This year I ran into one of those unkillable elk. Friend's son whacked the 5-point herd bull and once he had that on the ground I shot the biggest cow I could see. Was starting to wonder about my shooting, but it turns out the first two shots hit not 3 inches apart, right behind the shoulder, at 300 yards. Broadside double-lung hits. One was a pass-through with the exit wound obviously much larger and the second was recovered just under the hide on the far side, perfectly mushroomed with the lead still in the jacket. Third shot totally shattered the near shoulder blade like a grenade. And away she went, obviously hard hit but still on her feet. Arguably, the first 3 shots were all lethal hits. Only had 3 rounds in my Remington 700; magazine can be finicky. Reloaded and put two more unnecessary shots into her. The first three shots were on for shot placement and the bullets performed well for expansion and weight retention. Just one of those elk??? You know, the ones that soak up 180-grain .30-caliber bullets like they were M931 5.56mm. The friend who's boy shot the 5-point said he once put four 7mm Rem Mags into an elk with similar results. I can't say for sure yet. The 1st or 2nd shot was the first 212-grain ELD-X I ever recovered. Perfectly mushroomed and held its weight. On deer, all shots were pass-throughs, although the exit wounds were very obviously much larger than the entrance wounds. Not enough data yet for me to say for sure one way or another.

I used 143 ELD-X's in my creedmoor on 4 critters this year, 2 antelope and 2 whitetails. I recovered 2 separated jackets and saw fragmentation in 3 of the animals. Last one shot was a good size whitetail buck at roughly 50 yards, hard quartering away. Bullet entry behind the ribs, found the jacket in the front abdominal cavity and what was left of the lead buried in front opposite shoulder.
Everything I've pointed the eldx's at has died, but no way I'd use one on elk size game. Going to do some more searching around for a bonded or mono load this off season. The accuracy of the eldx's have been outstanding but not my choice for game.

Hi All,

Last year I developed a great load with some heavy ELDX bullets for my Browning x-bolt in 30-06. They were tack drivers and shot great and outperformed the same weight Nosler Accubonds.

My original intention was to use these bullets on Elk.

This fall I was able to harvest two deer with the same load. Both shots were around 150 yards. The bullets did their job, however upon recovering one, some concerns came to light. On both deer there were complete pass through shots with lots of internal damage and good sized exit wounds. The deer dropped immediately. On one animal I was able to recover the jacket and bottom half of the bullet, which were still together. The jacket showed pretty devastating damage, however the upper portion of lead, above the ferrule in the bullet had completely separated and likely went through the animal.

My concern is with the fragmentation of the round. It just did stay together as say an Accubond is suppose to. Basically as the lead sheared off the bullet, the overall bullet lost mass and did not pass through.

My concern is that this bullet is just not robust enough for tough animals like elk. I have heard the same comment reiterated on a number of podcasts lately. The consensus I have heard from some is that the ELDX is a great shooting bullet, but just not tough enough for large game hunting applications.

Anyone have similar experiences? Is mono metal the way to go?
Jackets Too Soft tried them one season more explosive the Nosler Ballistic Tips.
No more ELDX for me if I need a explosive bullet I will use a Berger.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back