Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hornady American Whitetail Ammo

Rooster52

I picked up some of this ammo at Cabela for my 25-06. My rifle likes it.Great deer/antelope bullet 117 grain BTSP at a good price. $22.99 per box.
What do you think of this ammo?

It is great ammo. I have not shot it, but a friend of mine shoots it on my range. That bullet will perform well on game and is very accurate. I think that it is the best factory ammo out there for the price.

I don't want to jack the thread, but does anyone think the Hornady American Whitetail is okay for elk? I have a bunch in 7mm rem mag because it shoots so well out of my Tikka, I figured if it's an adequate elk round why not use it?

I tried a box of the 150gr .308. My rifle didn't like it. I'd give it another shot in a different gun though. Good components for the price.

I don't want to jack the thread, but does anyone think the Hornady American Whitetail is okay for elk? I have a bunch in 7mm rem mag because it shoots so well out of my Tikka, I figured if it's an adequate elk round why not use it?

Hornady Interlocks have killed plenty of elk.

My understanding is these bullets are best used on Deer sized animals. The construction of the bullet is too soft, jacket has a tendency to separate on Elk and not penetrate. If you like Hornady, stick with the interbond bullets, or the GMX bullets.

Hornady interlock bullets have killed plenty of elk , I personally have taken several Caribou and moose with the Interlock There has been a ton of elk killed with Remington coreloct and the hornady is every bit as tuff as them. Just go on the heavy side for your caliber.
3 of the 4 moose we have killed has been one shot kills with the Hornady bullet.Never had an Interlock bullet come apart as others have stated.

Last edited:
I have used that same ammo in my 25-06 and it loves it put about 250 rounds through it this past summer getting ready for antelope. My 270 likes it also 130 gr. I wanted to use superformance but neither liked it as well. I would recommend highly, when I chronographed the loads they were all within about 40 fps which I think is pretty good for factory ammo,especially at that price point.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back