Honeymoon Hunt Help in Colorado. Updated post.

HuntTalk Freak

Hello all, I'm looking for some advice from those who have been hunting out west and Colorado in general. I'm getting married to a wonderful woman in April and we are planning to come hunt Colorado as our honeymoon later this year. I'm an avid hunter and have guided for whitetail and hogs down here in Texas but have never hunted out of state, she just likes to tag along and will be getting her hunters education done this summer to start hunting herself this fall.

Based on my research, our gear and wanting to keep her comfortable I've ruled out a backpack hunt and so we will either set up a basecamp, get a hotel or a combination of both. I have one point each for elk and mule deer and am looking at 1st or 2nd rifle seasons with the idea it will be warmer and more enjoyable for her. If I was going alone I'd be backpacking and looking at 3rd season. I've also narrowed my unit selections down to the southwest area particularly looking at 77 as I can possibly draw a mule deer tag and buy a OTC elk tag for 2nd rifle.

My questions is what species and sex would you guys go for on a October rifle hunt in southwest Colorado? I wouldn't turn my nose up at a cow elk tag if it increased my odds of filling the freezer and having a enjoyable time with my bride. Right now I'm leaning towards applying for a mule deer tag because past threads here and looking at GoHunt lead me to believe my odds of filling the tag are much better than a OTC bull elk. Basically I know the odds are against me, I mainly just want us to have fun and possibly come home with some meat. She prefers the venison I butcher to any store bought beef.

Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers.

6/29/19 Update
First I'd like to thank everyone again for their help. Lots of good folks here.

We have been married two months now! Whew.....She's still putting up with me.

So I drew my tag for 2nd Season Mule Deer in 77. I'm going to watch for the leftover list to see if anything pops up for cow elk, female deer, etc. Still toying with the notion of getting a OTC bull tag.

We have a cabin on Lake Pagosa booked for the first six nights and finishing up our trip at the Springs Resort. She fell in love with the place after looking at the website. Unfortunately all the places I e-scouted and marked look to be a pretty decent drive each day so I'm looking at some of the western portions of 78 that look to be winter range according to the CO hunting atlas.

One of my groomsman loaned me a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 over the summer to shoot and take if I want since my personal rifle selection is mainly down to heavy, long range rigs.
Another buddy is loaning me a Nightforce spotter.

We both still need boots but being in East TX it's not like we can source them locally. Going to drive a few hours to a Cabelas soon.

I'd be interested in any good places to eat for our last couple of nights if anyone has any suggestions?

Any tips on Pagosa in general? Any areas to avoid?

Last edited:
Personally, I'd go with a deer hunt on a honeymoon. Usually it's more relaxed and easier to get into game.

If your bride is fine with it, spend the money you would have spent on the hotel and get you some good basic camp equipment you can use for years on down the road.

I'd probably try to draw a deer tag and if you do also pick up a OTC bull tag just in case. Like LCH said, it can be more of a relaxed hunt with a better chance at filling the freezer.

Take the time to see Ouray and Silverton, since you won't be too far. Amazing drive and cool little towns. GMU 65 should get you a 2nd rifle buck tag with no points and the same option to grab a otc bull tag, if you get into them.

First day of first rifle last year in CO, 14 degrees and 2 feet of snow. The weeks before it was beautiful indian summer conditions.

Hello all, I'm looking for some advice from those who have been hunting out west and Colorado in general. I'm getting married to a wonderful woman in April and we are planning to come hunt Colorado as our honeymoon later this year. I'm an avid hunter and have guided for whitetail and hogs down here in Texas but have never hunted out of state, she just likes to tag along and will be getting her hunters education done this summer to start hunting herself this fall.

Based on my research, our gear and wanting to keep her comfortable I've ruled out a backpack hunt and so we will either set up a basecamp, get a hotel or a combination of both. I have one point each for elk and mule deer and am looking at 1st or 2nd rifle seasons with the idea it will be warmer and more enjoyable for her. If I was going alone I'd be backpacking and looking at 3rd season. I've also narrowed my unit selections down to the southwest area particularly looking at 77 as I can possibly draw a mule deer tag and buy a OTC elk tag for 2nd rifle.

My questions is what species and sex would you guys go for on a October rifle hunt in southwest Colorado? I wouldn't turn my nose up at a cow elk tag if it increased my odds of filling the freezer and having a enjoyable time with my bride. Right now I'm leaning towards applying for a mule deer tag because past threads here and looking at GoHunt lead me to believe my odds of filling the tag are much better than a OTC bull elk. Basically I know the odds are against me, I mainly just want us to have fun and possibly come home with some meat. She prefers the venison I butcher to any store bought beef.

Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers.

Personally, I'd go with a deer hunt on a honeymoon. Usually it's more relaxed and easier to get into game.

If your bride is fine with it, spend the money you would have spent on the hotel and get you some good basic camp equipment you can use for years on down the road.
That’s what I’m leaning towards.

I’ve been slowly acquiring more and better gear over the last two years in preparation to start hunting the west. I’m still not satisfied with our tents and sleep systems but we should probably do fine down to 20 degrees or so. I’m looking at getting a Kodiak Canvas tent as a upgrade and a lower temp bag for her.
I have a cheap four season backpacking tent I’ll bring just incase we want to spike out for a night.
We have good packs and clothes. Need better boots.

Reactions: LCH
First day of first rifle last year in CO, 14 degrees and 2 feet of snow. The weeks before it was beautiful indian summer conditions.
That’s what I’m afraid of if I go with a later season hunt. I’m still going to prepare for the worst.
I tried to talk her into just doing a summer time hiking trip but she insist on going hunting. I enjoy the cold and a bit of suffering, she gets bundled up head to toe when it’s in the 40’s.

We do day hikes most weekends in preparation and we enjoy it.
First deer she watched me kill and has been there for a handful more. She also helps skin and quarter. Never been hunting prior to dating me.

Reactions: LCH
Maybe splurge for a night in a hotel near a hot spring. Pretty damn romantic. Pagosa's hot springs and lodge is something special. In Ouray, Weisbaden has a vapor cave as well as hot spring. When you stay for a night, it includes use of the hot spring the day of check in and check out The price looks high @ Pagosa's lodge until you figure it includes 2 days of pool access for both of you. Congratulations on getting a ring on a hunting wife:)

You might also consider muzzleloader season......nice time to be in the rockies, and the colors are awesome. Vail, Telluride, Durango, Ouray, Silverton, all worth checking out. Throw Marble and Glenwood Springs in there too.

Maybe splurge for a night in a hotel near a hot spring. Pretty damn romantic. Pagosa's hot springs and lodge is something special. In Ouray, Weisbaden has a vapor cave as well as hot spring. When you stay for a night, it includes use of the hot spring the day of check in and check out The price looks high @ Pagosa's lodge until you figure it includes 2 days of pool access for both of you. Congratulations on getting a ring on a hunting wife:)
That's a great idea! I'll look into that since I'm e-scouting some locations around Pagosa and further north in 77 around roadless areas and migration routes.

You might also consider muzzleloader season......nice time to be in the rockies, and the colors are awesome. Vail, Telluride, Durango, Ouray, Silverton, all worth checking out. Throw Marble and Glenwood Springs in there too.
I considered muzzle loader but decided against it since I've never fired one much less hunted with one, funds will be too tight to buy one and I won't have a ton of time to get familiar with one anyway compared to my 308's and 6.5's. I will probably pick one up in years to come once life settles down as it offers more hunt opportunities and challenges.

Congratulations! I like the look of your wedding, seriously. I'm embarrassed to admit, but 35 years ago I let my wife talk me into a white tuxedo to get married in, I've never been in a tux since and don't even own a suit - I was a fish out-of-water that day.

Congratulations! I like the look of your wedding, seriously. I'm embarrassed to admit, but 35 years ago I let my wife talk me into a white tuxedo to get married in, I've never been in a tux since and don't even own a suit - I was a fish out-of-water that day.

Thank you! We wanted to keep it simple not only for ourselves but our wedding party and guests too. We saved money by having it at my inlaws ranch, guests sat on hay bails covered with old quilts and we took down part of a corral to stand in front of. The most expensive part was the catered chuck wagon but even that was only $10 a plate. Looking back it was fairly stress free, I even went fishing that morning. :cool:

I hunt and eat everything that moves.If anyone asks me...do you
hunt,fish,fart,F--k around?I will never ever say" I do Again!" 😎

Pagosa springs is nice. 24hour access to the pools if you stay there. Not a bad haul to deer hunting. Go high and get on ridges, watch little patches of cover and aspens 2nd season. Might be there early November with wife and friends and a rifle too.

Pagosa springs is nice. 24hour access to the pools if you stay there. Not a bad haul to deer hunting. Go high and get on ridges, watch little patches of cover and aspens 2nd season. Might be there early November with wife and friends and a rifle too.
Most of the spots I've marked are between 8-10k, is that high enough? I've not marked anything lower yet as I'm not sure the timing would be right, I guess a lot depends on the weather though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back