Yeti GOBOX Collection

Honda Trail 90

I bought a 64 Trail 90 about 15 years ago from a old lady. It was tucked in the back of an old barn covered in dust. She said that her husband had passed away about 10 years earlier and she didn't remember him using it since the 80's. With a couple hours of work that thing purred like a kitten. I have gotten a ton of use out of it mostly as a shuttle vehicle for float trips or light trail riding.

In 2019 I hauled it up to Alaska and back. I used it to get back in on some crappy atvs trails, but mostly as a shuttle for some moose float hunts. Probably could have paid for the whole trip by selling on the way considering I had at least 20 offers to buy it. Pretty great that Honda is bringing them back.

DSC00847.jpg

IMG_3764.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg

That’s awesome.
I bought my first motorcycle, a 1965 Honda trail 90, when I was 10 years old with money I earned working on the family cattle farm. Only time I ever got paid for cowboy, although I did it all of my life off/on well into my 30’s.

Awesome. I still have the ct 110 i got as a kid. And it still packs me around the mountains scouting and hunting. They are one of the greatest conveyances ever.

Mid 1980s my Dad thought one of those would be the ticket to getting elk out of our hunting spot which was 4 miles of steady uphill back to the truck.

A spike bull died on schedule opening morning. I shot first, and Dad's Weatherby roared right after I shot. There was only one bullet hole in the bull, but Dad said I nailed it. :)

We each brought one load out in our packs and he went back for the final load with the new bike. It rained all day.....and I waited in the truck thinking he should have been back three hours ago.

Finally, in the low light of the evening, he crested the skyline. The little Honda had gear reduction enough to get the elk and my Dad's bulk through the tough grind. Now all was left was a steep 300 yard decline with 3 switch backs to the truck.

Mind you, it had been raining all day.

Those light knobby tires held traction for about 10 yards....Then Dad locked up the rear wheel, while muttering religious talk. Then the front wheel locked up. And the bike stayed upright as it punched through the first switch back and gained speed as it crashed through the sage at Mach 3.

He rode that mud sled all the way to the bottom and crashed in the willows.

It was a spectacular 8 second ride.

I was laughing hysterically at first, then genuinely scared, but Dad emerged, with his pants torn off of him, and his legs torn and bleeding, but nothing broken!

True story!

How is the 125 at high elevation? A CT 125 on a hitch haul could be better than an atv on a trailer.

How is the 125 at high elevation? A CT 125 on a hitch haul could be better than an atv on a trailer.
I would like to know this too. They seem like a great tool to get around up in the mountains if they can do it. Sure beats banging up my truck.

I would like to know this too. They seem like a great tool to get around up in the mountains if they can do it. Sure beats banging up my truck.
Tons of YouTube vids on these units, with fuel injection I don't think elevation should be your concern, but rather your intent for use. I've been eyeballing these for awhile and almost bought one a couple weeks ago but am holding off until I know my exact traveling set up when I retire. My plan is to have one to drag along for short trips in town, run up a FS road, legal trails or a float shuttle vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back