Homeschooling

Northwoods

Our small school district has decided that this school year will be 100% distance learning. I don’t agree but this is America and I can always run for a spot on the school board (I just might). In return my wife and I have decided to homeschool our 3rd grader this year. Who else is going to homeschool?

Really hoping we don’t have to, but my wife and I have been discussing how we will handle this if necessary. I think academically we could pull it off (along with the school districts virtual curriculum of course), but how do we recreate the social aspect?

My wife and I homeschooled all of our children start to finish.. (5 son's) It's not as difficult as one may think.. You can actually more readily adjust teaching methods from child to child to fit different learning styles..

Our kids always tested at or above grade levels throughout their school years in all academic disciplines.. My wife has a teaching degree but never got her certificate. I have an associate's degree and I'm a science and math nerd. 3 of our 5 children went to college and all graduated in the tops of their classes.. My youngest is a Marine, if you knew him he was made for it..

The regional manager at my middle boys job called and asked what I had done to him to produce such an exceptional young man after he found out that he was homeschooled. He stated that his work ethic and professionalism was unparalleled for any young man his age that he had experienced in his field.

In reality in the right home environment, education and even socialization can be better than in a public school setting because the parent can more individually taylor the child's experience.. (I really do believe that the socialization subject is the single most important reason to homeschool). Again it's really dependent on the individual home life..

The key words being right home. Not all children would benefit from homeschooling, it really depends on the parents dedication to the task and willingness to understand the process. As well as the ability to humbly judge what you know and what you don't..

Last edited:
I had a pretty eclectic schooling experience growing up.
K-1st - public school
2nd-7th - homeschool (with 1 quarter of public and 1 quarter of private mixed in there for a couple different situations)
8th-12th - private school

I know a fair number of people who were homeschooled as well. Academically, I really don't think there is anything better than homeschool for elementary ed. So much of elementary ed is geared toward things that don't matter. We were taught phonics early on, made to read a lot, and drilled heavily on English grammar and basic arithmetic. History and science were not formal subjects, but things we read about and discussed around the home. Both my brother and I were miles ahead in these areas when we went to private school for high school. High school is when homeschooling can get limiting from the academic side of things. We were fortunate to have both very good public schools and a good private school near us, so the decision was an easy one to be able to go play sports and have a "normal" high school experience without fear of not getting adequate instruction for trig, calc, physics, etc. Depending on the schools in your area, that would have to be a long-term consideration.

Now for the big one...socialization. Socialization isn't that hard for those who homeschool, but it IS necessary and does require dedicated attention. I know plenty of people who struggle adapting to the real world well into their 20s because their parents either didn't think social interaction was a big deal or didn't try hard enough to make it happen. My brother and I both played sports and were involved in church while homeschooled, and that helped a lot. We were still a little socially awkward when we got to high school, but not anywhere near the level of some people I know. Furthermore, we very quickly adapted and fit in.

So for a third grader, I don't think homeschooling is going to be a huge minefield. Especially if this is just a one year thing. There are things to think about long-term, but elementary ed is when the biggest advantage comes for homeschooling in my opinion.

Our county is pretty rural but we are still doing 3 days distance learning and 2 at the school. The school actually called each parent who had kids attending and went off of what their suggestions were. We had the choice of 5 days at school, 5 days distance learning, or a split of two and two one half going Mon-Tue the other half going Thurs-Fri.

“Socialization“ is a double edged sword. There are a bunch of kids at your local schools (Public and private, religious affiliated or not) that are best observed from a distance. Getting to choose with whom your kids are around to influence and be influenced by is a major reason some choose to homeschool.

Our older two did elementary school with their intuitively genius mom, Mrs kansasdad. Which means that the youngest also got into the rhythm and learning style of homeschool. Homeschool co-op, scouts, dance, sports, church......all gave plenty of options to be with kids of all ages.

We intentionally taught them that they are world changers. I have to remember that we set out to do that when they share with us their outrageous world changing ideas.

I work for 4-H Youth Development, and I can tell you we have had an influx of new membership from families who will be homeschooling, and are looking to 4-H for a social outlet. Many are homeschooling because they have health concerns. A lot are concerned that we will open schools for a month, and have to close back down, so they are just trying to get a head of it.
There are a lot of difficult decisions having to be made. I’m fortunate that my daughter is not school age yet, and my work is very flexible when it comes to working from home.

Our county is pretty rural but we are still doing 3 days distance learning and 2 at the school. The school actually called each parent who had kids attending and went off of what their suggestions were. We had the choice of 5 days at school, 5 days distance learning, or a split of two and two one half going Mon-Tue the other half going Thurs-Fri.
What a great idea. I know that not many districts are small enough to do this, but good on the administration for taking the time to see what the families want.

Last edited:
What a great idea. I know that not many districts are small enough to do this, but good on the administration for taking the time to see what the families want.
We were all hoping (at least 78 percent I think is what the numbers said) after we got the results that it would be 5 days at school but the state stepped in from what I was told by the principal and nixed it.
It will be nice though having them go at least enough to keep in touch with their friends and to keep some semblance of normalcy.

I was exposed to all three: Home, Private, and Public during Elementary, Middle, High and College years. And in two different states.

If possible and when I have children I will attempt to keep them in private school. For me, I learned more in the private schools than at home or public schools.

The private schools were smaller classes, and fewer students who did not want to be in class and therefore fewer negative interruptions or participation or even lack thereof. Plus the teachers are all trained to be teachers and for the the most part are better teachers than parents. You also get a wider view of different perspectives to every project than you do at home without the negative interruptions from the students who dont want to be in school at the public schools.

The social part is important but if you do home school or even private school, my parents found plenty for me to do socially thru 4-H, Horse shows, Rodeos, Girl Scouts, Community sports, Church and the Boys and Girls Club. ( music, dance, art, etc )

One of the things my parents did was to get me involved in Volunteer programs thru the church to help the elderly and it taught me a lot. These senior citizens have a lot of knowledge to share to those who are smart enough to listen.

By socialization, do you mean learning to march to the cafeteria, the decompression time on the playground, or is it the bullying and teasing you fear they will miss? Homeschool kids aren't isolated from society, and they often have more normal day-to-day interactions. Social interactions in school teach kids how to behave in school not the wild. It can be argued that homeschool kids actually develop useful social skills earlier than traditionally schooled kids. :)

We’re starting homeschool for our oldest in 3 weeks. We made that decision pre-COVID. We are in an OK public school district, and that was our second choice of the 3 available. We don’t utilize daycare so homeschool is more or less an extension of what we already do with my wife being a stay at home mom. There is a private school nearby that’s pretty nice IMO, but it’s a little out of our price range.

Speaking only for myself and personal friends, I dont remember ever "marching" to the cafeteria, but they did have set times that we would have lunch, much like some do when they are employed after their education. The playground was a good place to unwind from the pressure of the classroom, much like hunting, fishing and the gym works today to help with the pressures of "life". I also believe that homeschooling and socializing is possible, as I mentioned above. 4 H, Scouts, Community Sports, Boys and Girls Club, Church and for me any and all horse related activities. As for bulling and teasing, it doesn't just happen in schools, but throughout life, so a much as I dislike it, learning how to deal with it in school can help one deal with it as an adult.

However having said all that I believe if a private school was not available I would home school, but possibly only through middle school. Then a public school that offers "running start" programs and then off to college.

Remember my view point is from a students point of view, having recently graduated from college. No children yet for me and my parents tell me that I must have a husband first !!!!;)

My wife is a 6th grade science teacher. She has mixed feelings about homeschooling. If you are an attentive parent, have a stable home life, etc., it will probably be fairly easy for you all.

Our school district is planning on 5 days/week school with lots of precautions. Virtual learning really isn't an option since less than 50% have access to internet. However, what they have done is purchased every student in the distract a chromebook to be taken home in the event that school is closed because of covid19. WiFi hotspots are being setup around the county. Once per week, the kids without internet would have their parents drive to the hotspot, upload the previous weeks work, and download the next. I believe this will work automatically when the student enters the hotspot and signs in. Teachers will upload video, lessons, etc. Currently, she and her co-teachers have bets going on how long actual school is in session. Right now she is going for labor day. If that is the case, she and the boys will be joining dad and I on our Wyoming muledeer/elk hunt. Might end up renting a cabin or something in a town nearby for them if this happens. Just as long as it has internet so she can teach.

When you read my post, You will know who the brain in our home school family was. My grammar and typing can be terrible.

We home schooled all of our three son's to some degree. One K-12, one 100% home schooled until 10th grade, when he asked to go to public school (he is a National Merit Scholar, so that worked out). The last we dual enrolled part home schooled, part public for sports and music. He has a Master's of Music and is headed for his PhD. Idaho allows how schooled children to play sports through the public school without special enrollments. All three boys played high school sports.

I really appreciate @Randi adding to this. The things that make a positive home education are the same things that make a successful public or private education. Engaged parents being the primary factor. In the interest of full disclosure, my youngest two sons view home schooling as a positive experience, the oldest does not. He has made it a life goal to be the polar opposite of his parents in every aspect of life. Thankfully, we have a good relationship with him. Some former home school families have lost this.

Home schooling taught us some things, some tangible and some intangible..

Primarily -
Home schooling is not a magic formula for making perfect children. If your kid is an a$$hole, home schooling is not going to fix it. There are some very well balanced home taught children, and there are some who scare the crap out of me. The main reason is that there are some well adjusted home school parents, and some that scare the crap out of me. When I look at the character pros and cons of my sons, I do not see that home, private, or public schooling would have changed who they are to any great degree.

Secondly -
Keep records. You need to transcript everything your children do as home schoolers. That includes acedemics, sports, arts, culture, EVERYTHING. If and when you decide to enroll them back into a district this will be keep them on grade level and allow them to graduate on schedule without drama. You will likely need to present transcripts as proof of equivalent study to get your child a diploma. OFten those transcripts must be approved not just by the school administration, but by the school board as weel. They can enter University or the Armed Forces solely on test scores alone, but there are some bureaucratic minefields you can avoid by keeping these records and getting them a diploma.

Third -
Do not forget the role of guidance and placement counselors in the organized education system. We were fortunate that our middle son became a National Merit Scholar (free ride, baby!) We would not have known this was possible if not for the guidance counselor at the high school. There are key checkpoints in a child's education you can miss to their detriment if you do not have help in this. These services are available from some districts, as well as universities and 501 NGOs.

I personally do not think home schooling is an answer in families where both parents are working unless they are strict about work/teaching schedules and the division of teaching duties. Home schooling is work and it takes sacrifice and commitment by both parents. Many who are now calling themselves home schoolers due to Covid are using virtual academies. These are no different in essence than leaving your child enrolled in the district and doing Zoom classes. The only real difference being the choice of curricula. And the difficulty of getting a school district to recognize the work later if you do not document(transcript) your child's work. BTW - one of the real advantages to virtual academies is that their package usually include record keeping tools. There are roles which are performed by the district no matter where your enrolled student physically studies. These roles become your responsibility when you choose to home school.

My wife now works for the local school district. She sees a stream of kids every day that have been dumped on the mercy of the school system by failed parents. This was a shock to her at first. We had not considered that there are parents who provide no nurturing whatsoever to their offspring. Whatever the OP decides, their 3rd grader will be fine because they obviously have engaged parents. These other, essentially orphaned, children are the ones who suffer most from the suspension of classes in public schools.

Our district just announced that we'll be 100% online learning this year. Most of the comments above mirror my feelings in regards to academic and social impact of homeschooling. Obviously with the right amount of effort from us parents, these needs will be met.

The hangup for us is that my wife and I are both "essential" workers. More so, the income from said jobs is very essential to us. The stress surrounding finances, possibly losing a job and benefits to care for our family, being replaced when this clears up because we had to care for our family, etc, is really taking a toll on us.

Albeit my son is just starting kindergarten, so we could just hold off on school this year and find childcare. But he's so ready and so smart that I just can't imagine the disservice that would be to him.

2019 was a very rough year for us on many levels. I had such high hopes for 2020. Very strange times we are presented with.

Our district just announced that we'll be 100% online learning this year. Most of the comments above mirror my feelings in regards to academic and social impact of homeschooling. Obviously with the right amount of effort from us parents, these needs will be met.

The hangup for us is that my wife and I are both "essential" workers. More so, the income from said jobs is very essential to us. The stress surrounding finances, possibly losing a job and benefits to care for our family, being replaced when this clears up because we had to care for our family, etc, is really taking a toll on us.

Albeit my son is just starting kindergarten, so we could just hold off on school this year and find childcare. But he's so ready and so smart that I just can't imagine the disservice that would be to him.

2019 was a very rough year for us on many levels. I had such high hopes for 2020. Very strange times we are presented with.

this is the other side of home schooling, how it effects the family as a whole not just the child. One family I know has ask a high school girl who is also being home schooled, to home school their grade school children, because they are both working. This is not a bad option if you know the teenager and their family.

Still another sad side too all this is that some families not only dont have the internet or a computer but they depend on the school to help feed their children. Also the children being in school eliminates their needing to pay for day care, if they both work.

some families have enlisted the grandparents to home school, which eliminates day care costs, eliminates the parents needing to home school the children after working all day, and the other good part about this is the children and grandparents get to spend time together.

and then as 44hunter45's wife sees each day. some parents just dont care and their children are the real losers here, in my opinion--who helps them if there is no school, no teachers, no social activities, no lunch--but I digress

"and then as 44hunter45's wife sees each day. some parents just dont care and their children are the real losers here, in my opinion--who helps them if there is no school, no teachers, no social activities, no lunch--but I digress"

This is a bigger concern than mine. Unfortunately, you can pretty much see exactly the kids that will fall into this sad category. Even at the pre-k level last year, I know which kids from my child's class I'm sad for.

Remember my view point is from a students point of view, having recently graduated from college. No children yet for me and my parents tell me that I must have a husband first !!!!;)

Sounds like you have your head on straight young lady. 👍

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back