Homemade dehydrated meals?

Paul in Idaho

I have been thinking about making my own dehydrated meals for backpacking. Have any of you done this?

One question on my mind is whether any foods would still need to be refrigerated even after dehydration. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I'll usually stick them in the freezer just to be safe. Keep in mind that meals with high fat content can go rancid at room temps fairly quickly.

I'll usually stick them in the freezer just to be safe. Keep in mind that meals with high fat content can go rancid at room temps fairly quickly.

Paul,

I've been doing this off and on for a number of years and I freeze mine also. I put them in Ziplock quart freezer bags. I've kept them for over a year and they seemed fine. I ate them, they tasted fine and I didn't die.

Couple of tips. Use parchment paper and don't try to substitute waxed paper. I did this once and it made a royal PITA. The food stuck to the waxed paper and pulled off little bits of it. I finally said screw it and figured I'd rather eat a little paper than take forever to get the food off.

Don't be afraid of excess sauce. It'll dry out just fine and make flakes. I like doing soups and stews, and then add some Minute Rice to them, or couscous or some other type of grain for a filler.

Dice the meats up small for better rehydration. Plan on 20-25 minutes for rehydration. Sometimes 30 minutes if you have diced chicken or something like that in it. I usually boil my water, dump it in, then take care of gear, lunch, water, etc. for the following day while I wait for dinner. Then I can eat, have a shot of whiskey, and hit the rack. If you have a buddy along, that's the perfect time to build a fire.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back