Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Home Hide Tanning?

Joe Hulburt

My wife want's to do some painting on buckskin so I am thinking of trying to do a DIY hair off deer hide.

Has anybody here done it? I may just send it to a tannery but if I could get some How-To advice that seems doable I will give it a go.

Any advice is appreciated!

McKenzie Taxidermy supply has a few home kits. From a taxidermists perspective though, the professionally done tanned hides are a much better product and way more supple. The home ones tend to become very stiff unless you have a tumbler to soften the leather.

Dad used to do it all the time when he was alive until he just wasn't strong enough to wrestle wet hides around. I have most of the remnants of the elk hide seat cover he made for his truck (took it off before we sold it). It is alot of work and you need to put the time in to do it right, but can be done. Stretching the hides out to work them is a very time consuming process in itself.

I did some patches of elk hide (for fly-tying) six or seven years ago. Used Borax and did not work the hide so it is hard. Have not had any hair slip yet. Did not stretch it, so the hide has wrinkles that would not be good for painting. It was easy though.

I've heard someone in N. Idaho does entire elk hides for ~$55. Anyone have any info?

I did some patches of elk hide (for fly-tying) six or seven years ago. Used Borax and did not work the hide so it is hard. Have not had any hair slip yet. Did not stretch it, so the hide has wrinkles that would not be good for painting. It was easy though.

I've heard someone in N. Idaho does entire elk hides for ~$55. Anyone have any info?

If thats true, thats a steal. Here in Indiana they will run you $90 for a whitetail. I use them to wrap the plaster of paris on horn mounts.

I just looked at Yost Fur Dressing's website and they are selling whitetail buckskin for $60. It won't be your hide but it might save you some trouble.

I just looked at Yost Fur Dressing's website and they are selling whitetail buckskin for $60. It won't be your hide but it might save you some trouble.

Thanks for that tip! Might just by one and do this buck as a hair on since he was so pretty.

I enjoy doing my own from time to time,stretch scrape and dry hide
Receipe:
Use a plastic bucket or barrel
fill with water depending on hide size(deer,Coyote etc)
add 2 oz of battery acid per gal of water(I buy it at the local Honda shop)
add 1 qt of pickling salt per gal of water
soak and stir for 2-4 weeks
removed hide and soak in soda water ,rinse,clean it up and work it back and forth over a smooth rail pole over the next week or so

I have made buckskin shirts hats and etc,also have coyote and fox that have been hanging around with no fur slippage for 15 years or so

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back