Home Garage shops

2rocky

Curious about layouts my fellow HT'ers have in their 2 car garages for working on bows, guns light wood working and minimal metal work fabrication, and Home Gym hammering TM.... I'm dealing with a 20 x 20 2-car setup with one side dedicated to shop and storage on the end wall. I'd like enough room to park a car on the one side...

I've been prowling the You tube universe and truly have been overwhelmed with overbuilt options...Looking for some reasonable options for the reluctant DIYer.

Curious about layouts my fellow HT'ers have in their 2 car garages for working on bows, guns light wood working and minimal metal work fabrication, and Home Gym hammering TM.... I'm dealing with a 20 x 20 2-car setup with one side dedicated to shop and storage on the end wall. I'd like enough room to park a car on the one side...

I've been prowling the You tube universe and truly have been overwhelmed with overbuilt options...Looking for some reasonable options for the reluctant DIYer.

in this process of transformation myself, right now.

i have a similarly sized garage. just finished insulating and rocking the non fire code walls over the weekend. plans are for half to be a home gym and the other half shelf storage, freezers, and work/tool bench and we'll attempt to keep room for a car.

still not sure how to handle a work bench for tool storage, euros, and gun cleaning amongst all of that and have room for one car on one side.

will be following this thread and sharing things i come up with, figure out, and massively fail at in this process.

if only we had a basement, the plans would be a little different.

Last edited:
In the process myself, 24×27 stupid two single doors really screws you and wastes tons of space. Projects on hold until funds improve. By the time I'm done it's going to be a storage shed seems like. Just enough room for my grandpa's old truck and the sxs. I need to come up with a small fortune somehow so that I can build a shop.

I built this 24x40 after I retired. I had plans drawn up and got three bids which were all shockingly high. The last contractor told me no way I could build it myself and then dared me to do so. So I did. I subbed out the concrete and stucco. I wired it with outlets ever 6 feet and two 220V outlets in either end for my hobby welding As well as a 30 amp outlet for the camper. I wish I could have put another porch on the right side but did not have enough setback. It’s heated and has a swamp cooler.
F258C567-C633-4EE9-90F8-4073A731EDC7.jpeg

Did a 30x36 myself two years ago. Wife helped hang trusses and we managed to stay married. Everything else I did myself with the tractor and some ropes. It’s a dirt floor for most of it. I did 12x30 cement pad in part of it and built a storage/reloading/tack room. Planning a 30x40 for this summer just not sure how I’m going to manage doing all the concrete work myself on something that big. Wife wants an office in this one and I’ll probably build it big enough to put a workout spot in it too

i'm starting to look into wall mounted fold out tables like this:

1678829242441.png

looks like you can buy the folding brackets by themselves to make your own table out of butcher block or other wood. seems like that could be the cheaper route. i do like the heavy gauge galvanized steel tho. also looking for stainless steel, i'd prefer that.

20x20 is way to small! You won’t be able to park and get around it and do anything meaningful. Doors will open into walls and bumpers will almost be in walls once you add anything.

24x24 is a min for a 2 car garage.
I'm working with a 1947 concrete tip up building with actual interior of 19x19. It is what it is. It will be a one car + shop. My grandfather actually parked a chevy Suburban in it when he lived there!

1679063175995.jpeg1679063227927.jpeg
I've got a 60' x 40' metal building. 45 x 40 one side for garage and shop, (3) bays of parking, insulated, heated, car wash area, Bball hoop, etc.
15 x 40 other side of wall trophy room / man cave / bar with restroom, heat & AC, wet bar, woodstove, etc.

Have a couple other unheated storage buildings with slab, lighting and basic electric for tractors, implements, toys & general storage.

I have a 24x36 two door garage. Still a work in progress since we moved there in November, but so far it's coming along nicely. The garage is where 99% of my mounts are, my butchering corner and work bench area. All of my hunting and work gear has also moved out of the house so I put up a lot of shelving. First thing I did was paint the walls a lighter colour to brighten up the place a bit. Next big project is to install better lighting.

I've set up a 2x16ft wood work bench and have a 3x16ft stainless steel butchering table, both set up in an L shape in one corner of the garage and the other is where I put up barn wood and all my mounts. Looks alright so far!!!

I have a garage that’s borderline too small for all my junk. I have some of the Rubbermaid fasttrack for hanging tools, bikes, chainsaw, etc as well as pegboard for hand tools (I have a 4x4 grid of these steel ones installed above my work bench) and steel shelving for storing totes. With the exception of my freezers, work bench, and safe the walls are pretty much covered with those storage systems. That has helped free up the floor area for vehicles, exercise equipment, and work space.

I like the idea of a corner work bench, but that isn't how I would build it...

I recently rebuilt my shed. It was too close to the lot line to allow me to put electric to it and the bottom plate was rotten due to soil being pushed against the side by a former owner.

I could only build it 12x16 since that was the maximum allowed in my town. I was very happy to move all my tools out of the garage and am now slowly working on insulating and sheet rocking the garage so I can get some organization in there.

One thing I wish I would have done in retrospect is to have skipped the shed and built on to the back of the garage. I could have easily made my workshop 20x20, but I missed that trick. Oh well. I do love my workshop, but it is pretty tight and everything has to be on wheels.

I have a whole metal shop in my two stall garage and room to park a ford expedition. Its a two stall. Lets just say my metal shop is cramped to say the least but it works for now. Could really use a shed tho.

I had a contractor build mine. It's 32 deep by 40 wide with 8 ft and 16 ft doors. Plenty of room for 2 vehicles and space for benches, shelves, and whatever crap i want to put in there.

View attachment 268721
Perfect. There's a company near me that can put up a pole type building complete for less than I can on my own. Easy to make the inside what you want and need. One thing I might have done differently is an 18' foot door. Nice shop. mtmuley

Perfect. There's a company near me that can put up a pole type building complete for less than I can on my own. Easy to make the inside what you want and need. One thing I might have done differently is an 18' foot door. Nice shop. mtmuley
@mtmuley are you referring to MQS or someone else? Just curious as we are looking at a potential shop in the area for sometime in the future.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back