Holster suggestions

Four22

Need to find a holster for my S&W shield 9mm.

I’m looking for a dual purpose holster to carry while hunting under my pack waste belt but also as a OWB carry holster that I can use for some tactical training I want to take.

Any suggestions? I know there’s a million options but thought I’d throw it out there.

Thanks!

Kinda akin to asking what underwear one likes.
It's all personal preference, and you'll get a ton of different answers.
In the end, only you can decide.

I like my leather De Santis 019 X7. It is comfortable and holds the pistol firmly. Probably most of the guys will prefer the plastic holsters as they are better for fast draw and wet weather.

Ive been buying holsters for a long time, I’ve boxes of them. During my police career there were some dramatic changes in holsters, I started with a break front for my Python and finished with level three retention for both Glocks and 1911. 20 years in SWAT saw pretty much the same thing, from sloppy low ride leg holsters to MOLLE gear attachments on our heavy vests. Didn’t like either of those.
I do have some very nice leather holsters for my 1911s otherwise I have gone to the Kydex holsters for my chest rigs and any striker fired pistols. Still leather on my revolvers.
you are to be commended for seeking training. I was in charge of all our training for years and rotated all of my instructors and myself through the training every year. I still go to at least one class a year as well as doing some instructing. It sure wont hurt.

I have also noted at some of the classes Ive gone to the Serpa’s have come into disfavor. Large Police agencies have put them on the unapproved list. Safety issues regarding the index finger, retention device, weapon presentation interface. I think I took that from LA PD. In any event you might check with the class provider before you drop $50.00 on a holster you can’t use. (Negligent discharge, shot myself in the leg kinda thing)

My suggestion would be to get a custom kydex holster specifically for your SW Shield. It is a popular gun so most custom holster makers will have a mold for the Shield. So many options this way. A good custom kydex holster will have adjustable tension and will have good retention with a positive "click" when fully holstered. For the class, reach out to the instructor on what requirements they have. Many will not allow leather holsters for safety reasons and will recommend the you do not bring a holster that has some sort of lock/finger release like the Serpa mentioned by @Salmonchaser . They may enjoy laughing at you as you struggle to draw quickly though :LOL:. Good luck in your search. I hope you can find one that works for both applications. In my experience you have to try a few different configurations to find what works best for you.

I would recomend not trying to carry the holster under your pack belt. Most packs have MOLLE/PALS on the hip belts these days and I believe both BladeTec and SafariLand make a set up where you can easily move the holster from one mounting system to another. I would go with one of those systems, a MOLLE mount, and a OWB mount. Personally I went with a Razco holster set up that attaches to the bottom of my bino harness (and if i want, i can use the harness without the bino pouch and make a straight up chest holster). It is worth noting that the hole patterns on those Razco setups will allow you to mount most of the big name holsters (like bladetec) so that would give you yet another option. I had to make my own holster since I carry a Taurus titanium tracker in 41 mag and those are not common enough for most holster manufacturers to have molds.

I have pancake holsters for four of my handguns, and just last week ordered a chest rig from the same outfit that made the holsters (Simply Rugged). I have only tried on the chest rig, but I like it! It will ride behind my binocular case, won't interfere with wearing a pack, and the pistol (an SP101) is secure. Nice craftsmanship on the leather, too. I feel like I finally found my rig - and the holster has worked on my belt (except when backpacking) very well since I have had it (6 years).

I ordered a kydex lined leather holster from Versacarry. I have one other holster of theirs that’s full leather and the quality is top notch. I didn’t realize that they had a kydex model.

I’ll report back once I receive it.

Thanks for all the input!!

Compound (OWB) Holster

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back