Hog hunt on March 17

Calif. Hunter

Well, we finally got things arranged for our hog hunt, up near Coalinga. George, Moe, Craig and me. Craig is a buddy from the Phoenix area. We are hunting a private ranch and camping out. Supposedly, this place has 3 of the top 10 hogs in the California record book. We'll see....... besides hog hunting, we can shoot all the varmints we want!

Now, which gun will I use for a pig? The .358 hasn't been blooded yet. Or should I try the .257 Wthby with Barnes TSX? Decisions, decisions. :rolleyes:

I'm jealous! I'd love to hunt a pig again.

I vote for the 358.

What is the hunt costing you Ca Hunter?

Calif. Hunter said:
Well, we finally got things arranged for our hog hunt, up near Coalinga. George, Moe, Craig and me. Craig is a buddy from the Phoenix area. We are hunting a private ranch and camping out. Supposedly, this place has 3 of the top 10 hogs in the California record book. We'll see....... besides hog hunting, we can shoot all the varmints we want!

Now, which gun will I use for a pig? The .358 hasn't been blooded yet. Or should I try the .257 Wthby with Barnes TSX? Decisions, decisions. :rolleyes:

I have hunted hogs a few times and I took a .22-250 with 50gr barnes xlc bullets and they worked great when we shot them. I think that your .257 will do the trick and then some. HAPPY HUNTING keep us posted on how the hunt goes. :D :D

I heard there's very little meat damage with the 22-250 on moose too, have you shot a moose with it too? Where do you shoot them, between the eyeballs, in the spine, where?

I have killed hogs with a 22mag. It was a 20 yard shot and I head shot it but it did drop in its tracks. I am lucky to have 26k acres of hog land to hunt here in CA. I can pick my shots and pass on the ones that are not good. If I was paying to hunt pigs I would use a min. of a 243 with 100 gr. Up to a 300 or so.

Just my 2 cents.

I thought I was going to have to miss the hog hunt since that is the weekend my wife has her annual clogging seminar - clogging as in Appalachian dancing. She has decided not to go, though, since our son has something with Cub Scouts going on that day. So I get to go after all! ;)

My friend's son shot his first hog with a .22 mag. We were surprised at how well it worked on a 100 pound meat pig. I prefer something larger, as the bigger boars can be hard to put down, and I do not like taking head shots most of the time.

It costs $500 if you get a pig. What does it cost if you don't get a pig? What is it, any lodging or meals or guiding? Good luck on the hunt! I guess it, includes some hunting for pigs or hogs.

cali, i was going to invite myself but i didnt want to miss my clogging class.

Calif. Hunter said:
I thought I was going to have to miss the hog hunt since that is the weekend my wife has her annual clogging seminar - clogging as in Appalachian dancing. She has decided not to go, though, since our son has something with Cub Scouts going on that day. So I get to go after all! ;)

My friend's son shot his first hog with a .22 mag. We were surprised at how well it worked on a 100 pound meat pig. I prefer something larger, as the bigger boars can be hard to put down, and I do not like taking head shots most of the time.

If you ever make it into the central San Joaquine area let me know and if the pigs are around I will take you out and you can shoot a couple. With all the rain we have had they are scattered but a few weeks of dry weather and it will be easy pickings again.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back