Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hoback Therapy Facility and a Migration route

• Thread starter Deleted member 18333
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18333

Interesting development planned and ok'ed by the County Commission in opposition to the planning and zoning board. Development in small western towns is tough issue for sure.

Mmmm, any time I hear a developer say they plan on building a subdivision focused on first time home buyers and lower income families I immediately know they're full of it. They use that rhetoric to get thru planning and zoning then charge $450,000 for a 900 sq ft home where they can reach thru the kitchen window and touch the neighbors house.

Another development north of bondurant has locals worried as well. Billionaire planning another Jacksonesk resort in the area in prime wildlife habitat.

Mmmm, any time I hear a developer say they plan on building a subdivision focused on first time home buyers and lower income families I immediately know they're full of it. They use that rhetoric to get thru planning and zoning then charge $450,000 for a 900 sq ft home where they can reach thru the kitchen window and touch the neighbors house.

Another development north of bondurant has locals worried as well. Billionaire planning another Jacksonesk resort in the area in prime wildlife habitat.
Its only a matter of time till Bondurant is south Jackson.

I'm sure there are some cases where changing a particular parcel's zoning makes sense, but it is infuriating when these investors buy land that is zoned for agriculture, knowing damn well it's zoned for agriculture, then petition the county to get the zoning changed so they can do whatever they want on it. We've been fighting a very similar rezoning petition in Deschutes County, Oregon, and it's not looking good for the conservation side. Instead of 714 acres of high-use mule deer winter range, we'll have 71 "eco friendly, affordable, luxury homes on 10 acre parcels." Ridiculous.

Just got to keep fighting.

Interesting development planned and ok'ed by the County Commission in opposition to the planning and zoning board. Development in small western towns is tough issue for sure.

Sublette County Commissioners are on quite a role.

Gregory and attorney James Lubing are representing Bailey and the other petitioners. In their appeal for review of the Sublette County commissioners’ decision, they argued the commissioners who voted for the rezone failed to explain how the project fit the Sublette County Comprehensive Plan’s 10 goals.

I am very much a hypocrite on this issue. I don't like the placement of this therapy center. I don't like the idea of turning Rickett's ranch into a resort for vacationers. I really wish the Commission would have voted the other way on both. Meanwhile I own 10 acres with a cabin on what is great deer, elk and moose habitat that is 11 miles and 5 miles, respectively, from these two developments. One of the collared deer used to map the Hoback to Red Desert migration literally walked along my fenceline on the NF side every spring and summer for years to get to and from winter range. The place I own was part of a subdivided ranch some 40-50 years ago. Before too many people paid attention to this stuff. Brother and I bought the place almost 20 years ago, before I thought much about this stuff. I have my slice of heaven and would really rather others didn't.

This all bothers me. But not enough to no longer take part in it. I justify it to myself by saying I cant un-ring the development bell. Feels like a cop-out because it is. I don't know what the right answer is on new developments in this area. Its not as black and white as I wish it were. Or maybe it is and I just wont admit it.

I am very much a hypocrite on this issue. I don't like the placement of this therapy center. I don't like the idea of turning Rickett's ranch into a resort for vacationers. I really wish the Commission would have voted the other way on both. Meanwhile I own 10 acres with a cabin on what is great deer, elk and moose habitat that is 11 miles and 5 miles, respectively, from these two developments. One of the collared deer used to map the Hoback to Red Desert migration literally walked along my fenceline on the NF side every spring and summer for years to get to and from winter range. The place I own was part of a subdivided ranch some 40-50 years ago. Before too many people paid attention to this stuff. Brother and I bought the place almost 20 years ago, before I thought much about this stuff. I have my slice of heaven and would really rather others didn't.

This all bothers me. But not enough to no longer take part in it. I justify it to myself by saying I cant un-ring the development bell. Feels like a cop-out because it is. I don't know what the right answer is on new developments in this area. Its not as black and white as I wish it were. Or maybe it is and I just wont admit it.
There are three truths in the life. Death, taxes, and hypocrisy. The last is a literal requirement for raising children.

I tried like crazy to find a house my wife liked on a piece of property I could live on. We couldn't in 7 years. So I expanded my own hypocrisy to include building a home on vacant land.

Wyoming, this has all happened before, right across your southern border and southwest corner. Being unrelentingly windy will not alter the outcome. With drilling and mining in decline, the next boom is leisure immigration/investment. Every bit as habitat-consuming as the consumptive uses. Ye knew, Kim not so much.

If the reality is that we have to pay prices competitive with private development in order to preserve wildlife habitat, let's help RMEF and other groups just do it $$$.

The only thing saving Bondurant is it's literally about 50% more difficult to get through the winter there compared to Jackson/Hoback and Pinedale; that doesn't matter to a third homeowner with a caretaker/property manager though.
It can be overstated in some circumstances, but in my view it's no joke that intact, well-managed ranches are worlds better than chunked up critical habitat. These herds paired with this landscape is a perfect example.

I'm sure there are some cases where changing a particular parcel's zoning makes sense, but it is infuriating when these investors buy land that is zoned for agriculture, knowing damn well it's zoned for agriculture, then petition the county to get the zoning changed so they can do whatever they want on it. We've been fighting a very similar rezoning petition in Deschutes County, Oregon, and it's not looking good for the conservation side. Instead of 714 acres of high-use mule deer winter range, we'll have 71 "eco friendly, affordable, luxury homes on 10 acre parcels." Ridiculous.

Just got to keep fighting.
Well, it was announced today that this rezoning in Deschutes County passed in a 2-1 vote by the county commissioners. It wouldn’t be so upsetting if it wasn’t just one small piece of a giant land-use puzzle. The rezoning of ag land needs to be slowed WAY down, or we’re not going to have any left in Central Oregon. Makes it tough when one of your country commissioners is a big time developer herself…

Time to start looking into the conservation easement process in Oregon.

Setback for Ricketts grand plan in Bondurant.

I am personally somewhat torn on Mr. Rickets and his development plans. Some might forget, or have chosen to forget, that he was the one who made the final payment to PXP to buy-out the oil and gas leases on 58k acres of adjacent USFS land. I think roughly $4 million of the $8 million total. This would have had far more impacts to wildlife and affected the homeowners in Bondurant and Hoback Ranches way more than the construction of a guest ranch and fitness center. Rickets also just made a $1 million contribution to the new hospital in Pinedale to cover the cost of unforeseen construction increases. I'm not saying that money should buy someone special favor, but at least the guy contributes to the community.

I am personally somewhat torn on Mr. Rickets and his development plans. Some might forget, or have chosen to forget, that he was the one who made the final payment to PXP to buy-out the oil and gas leases on 58k acres of adjacent USFS land. I think roughly $4 million of the $8 million total. This would have had far more impacts to wildlife and affected the homeowners in Bondurant and Hoback Ranches way more than the construction of a guest ranch and fitness center. Rickets also just made a $1 million contribution to the new hospital in Pinedale to cover the cost of unforeseen construction increases. I'm not saying that money should buy someone special favor, but at least the guy contributes to the community.
Hes done alot for community financially i know he did some stuff with trout unlimited and a few other wildlife organizations. The hoback is just special to me and he has already changed so much i am in fear that these changes will start to impact the hills around his property. I think he should only be permitted to buy those run down cabins up on the highway for his resort, keep the buildup on the highway and limited. Jackson has already ruined so much beautiful and wild area so stop the sprawl.

Unfortunately this is the end game for our western U.S. The animals will eventually be gone. Development and the need for big profits. It is death of ecosystems by a thousand little cuts.

Back