MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

History of Nimmo Ranch Turning HMA

WyoDoug

Well I delivered a landowner coupon to Gretchen Nimmo, owner/GM of Nimmo Ranch and got to talk to her foreman. See, it used to be that Nimmo access was controlled directly by Gretchen and you had to get her to sign your permission slip to hunt on Nimmo Ranch.

However, two Air Force members were caught by a game warden and a ranch hand poaching antelope on the ranch. They had no license. WGF informed Gretchen that they preferred that she went to an HMA status to control which vehicles can enter the ranch. As it was, WGF had no record and did not know status of any one vehicle on the ranch. Gretchen went along.

Now Nimmo and state lands within the boundaries are HMA and they went from allowing 20 hunters a year on Nimmo to 150. Nimmo is a medium size ranch if that and does not support that many hunters. One day while I was glassing, I counted over 12 vehicles go by me and most tried to get information out of me. I don't give accurate info while I am actively hunting to hunters not in my group, so I referred them to the other side of the HMA (not knowing the ranch was moving cattle into that area and getting ready to close that section).

Poachers ruined a good area here. This HMA used to provide quality hunts. I caught a poacher hunting coyotes and turned his license plate number and him in. Nimmo does not allow predator hunting, so I knew he was doing it illegally.

This is how poachers ruin good hunting opportunities. Back in the early 2000-2005 era when I first hunted Nimmo, I used to get decent bucks and extra doe tags filled within 2-3 days and had plenty of opportunities and was successful in 1 in 12 stalks. This year I put in more than three dozen stalks on Nimmo and about to give up when I got my buck this year. I also put in stalks on private land near Burns and a lot more in the Chugwater area. One lesson learned that I preached over and over, persistence pays off when hunting antelope along with patience. It still peeves me off that this change happened because of poachers entering the ranch without permission and hunting without a license to top it off. Poaching is one thing I will report if I see it.

Such a bummer. I saw 2 dead antelope people just left on HMAs this year. I glassed one up and decided to walk over to see what happened. Long story short someone made a good shot on a nice buck pretty far from a road and just left it. Someone had to walk a solid 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile from the road to shoot this buck. The blood trail was all of 30 feet on a good double lung shot and someone was too lazy to go claim their buck. We were like WTF? Bucks were hard to come by in this area so I can't figure out why someone would leave it. Plenty of other hunters around like us that would've helped if someone needed help getting their animal back to the truck. So irritating.
Found another dead one just laying 6-700 yards from a pretty good glassing spot I frequent. I was there the evening before and nothing, next afternoon there's a dead antelope laying out on the prairie. Only access road in the area so it was likely lazy hunters.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back