Historical Type Rifle for Elk?

You weren't thinking of something like a Hawken or a Sharps or a Rolling Block or Ballard?

THOSE would be historical types.
He's kind of a war buff. So not classic rifles like the rolling block. He wanted a Mosin bc of the white death sniper. I counter suggested the M70 citing Carlos Hathcock and I think that's what he's going with. I used the term historical rather roughly I admit. Sorry for the confusion.

I'd suggest a lightly sportered M1917 Enfield, either Rem, Eddystone or Win manufacture. I have one inherited from my uncle which still has the ordinance 30-06 barrel and, while a bit heavy, is the most accurate rifle I own.

So a couple years ago I went on this big wilderness elk hunt, saved up a bunch of money, hired an outfitter and all. Had to decide on a rifle. Because the mule would pack my gun and not me, I took my Model 70 in 30-06. The guide smiled and said "you're going old-school." Now this post calls it "historic." So I'm thinking, yeah, the cartridge is 100 years old. The mauser-style action is 100 years old. Hell, even the Nosler Partition bullet choice was 50 years old. But nostalgia had zero to do with my choice. For that big hunt, I wanted a rifle I could 100 percent rely on. That had withstood the test of time. When it was time to pull the trigger, there was not an ounce of doubt and I would not have traded rifles with any custom, "modern" gun.

Depends on your definition of historical. I wouldn't touch a Mosin for anything other than firing cheap surplus ammo into berms. A sporterized 1903 maybe.

I don't think you even need to sporterize either a 1903A3 or a Garand to make them suitable for elk at a reasonable distance. The iron sights on these guns is more than adequate to take big game with them. Even a BAR will work for smaller game...122_3195.jpgGarandh.jpg100_2109.jpg

Maybe a 45/70 Marlin 1895?
I have a 4x12 Redfield scope and shot my best elk, 350 6x6 right at 500 yards.
Historical? Maybe it was made in Connecticut when Marlin was Marlin.
500 yard shot on an elk with a .45/70?!

My buddy is looking to get a historical type (maybe military sniper) rifle for elk. He was thinking Mosin or something similar. What would be a very accurate hard-hitting rifle that will take an elk at 450 yds or below AND has historical value? I was thinking maybe Winchester M70?
I have a Henry Long Ranger in 308 its not old but its a unique blend of classic and new a lever gun with a box magazine plus the Henry name

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back