Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Historical Type Rifle for Elk?

You weren't thinking of something like a Hawken or a Sharps or a Rolling Block or Ballard?

THOSE would be historical types.
He's kind of a war buff. So not classic rifles like the rolling block. He wanted a Mosin bc of the white death sniper. I counter suggested the M70 citing Carlos Hathcock and I think that's what he's going with. I used the term historical rather roughly I admit. Sorry for the confusion.

I'd suggest a lightly sportered M1917 Enfield, either Rem, Eddystone or Win manufacture. I have one inherited from my uncle which still has the ordinance 30-06 barrel and, while a bit heavy, is the most accurate rifle I own.

So a couple years ago I went on this big wilderness elk hunt, saved up a bunch of money, hired an outfitter and all. Had to decide on a rifle. Because the mule would pack my gun and not me, I took my Model 70 in 30-06. The guide smiled and said "you're going old-school." Now this post calls it "historic." So I'm thinking, yeah, the cartridge is 100 years old. The mauser-style action is 100 years old. Hell, even the Nosler Partition bullet choice was 50 years old. But nostalgia had zero to do with my choice. For that big hunt, I wanted a rifle I could 100 percent rely on. That had withstood the test of time. When it was time to pull the trigger, there was not an ounce of doubt and I would not have traded rifles with any custom, "modern" gun.

Depends on your definition of historical. I wouldn't touch a Mosin for anything other than firing cheap surplus ammo into berms. A sporterized 1903 maybe.

I don't think you even need to sporterize either a 1903A3 or a Garand to make them suitable for elk at a reasonable distance. The iron sights on these guns is more than adequate to take big game with them. Even a BAR will work for smaller game...122_3195.jpgGarandh.jpg100_2109.jpg

My buddy is looking to get a historical type (maybe military sniper) rifle for elk. He was thinking Mosin or something similar. What would be a very accurate hard-hitting rifle that will take an elk at 450 yds or below AND has historical value? I was thinking maybe Winchester M70?
I have a Henry Long Ranger in 308 its not old but its a unique blend of classic and new a lever gun with a box magazine plus the Henry name

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back