Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

His first deer

Plenty of Roe deer around at the moment, you obviously didn't hunt where Big Ears and I do!
We find them in all weather:)
Now @Aussie_hunter_JD go and make some pasties and post up the results, or maybe we should start a new thread, I know @el unit would be keen to contribute!
Cheers
Richard

Yeah apparently not!

As soon as I get a chance to duck out and knock over a fallow yearling I'll have a crack. Been hanging out for some venison pies too!

Richard, you'd likely achieve sainthood were you to share the pastry recipe. Last time I tried making pasties they were armor plated; pastry didn't work out at all well. Had some pretty good ones down in Mousehole once but they wouldn't share the recipe.
I would love to, but I too have been sworn to secrecy!
It was @Big Ears that gave it to me, he got it from a friend who has a shop making them in Cornwall, you could ask BE but I wouldn't hold at much hope of him divulging it!
Like you my pastry making was hit and miss, this recipe is idiot proof!
Sorry I can't help
Cheers
Richard

Richard, you'd likely achieve sainthood were you to share the pastry recipe. Last time I tried making pasties they were armor plated; pastry didn't work out at all well. Had some pretty good ones down in Mousehole once but they wouldn't share the recipe.

This link will get you started but does produce a heavy pastry. My buddy who owns Gear Farm Pasties. The best pasty maker in the world bar non gave me his recipe but it is top secret so cannot give it to you exactly. roughly it is;

twice as much strong bread flour as fat, seasoning and roughly a third the weight of flour in millilitres of water.

Use a mixture of hard and soft fats (this is key), do not over knead and leave to rest often. I add salt to the mixture. This will produce a pliable pastry to fold over the filling. The key is not to overwork and add hard fat in pieces (try grating) so as to create a flake to the pastry.

For the filling use meat, potato, onion and turnip (known as swede or rutabaga) in a ratio of 2:2:1:1. Season with salt and a lot of pepper.

If you use the website recipe but change it in line with my buddies you will get close and should get you started to make a half decent oggy!

BE

This link will get you started but does produce a heavy pastry. My buddy who owns Gear Farm Pasties. The best pasty maker in the world bar non gave me his recipe but it is top secret so cannot give it to you exactly. roughly it is;

twice as much strong bread flour as fat, seasoning and roughly a third the weight of flour in millilitres of water.

Use a mixture of hard and soft fats (this is key), do not over knead and leave to rest often. I add salt to the mixture. This will produce a pliable pastry to fold over the filling. The key is not to overwork and add hard fat in pieces (try grating) so as to create a flake to the pastry.

For the filling use meat, potato, onion and turnip (known as swede or rutabaga) in a ratio of 2:2:1:1. Season with salt and a lot of pepper.

If you use the website recipe but change it in line with my buddies you will get close and should get you started to make a half decent oggy!

BE
Thanks ever so much; maybe now I can make a decent one. I grew up eating rutabaga (Swedes) and my sister still cooks some for me several times each winter. I think I'll try some venison in a batch.

Thanks ever so much; maybe now I can make a decent one. I grew up eating rutabaga (Swedes) and my sister still cooks some for me several times each winter. I think I'll try some venison in a batch.
Temp no higher that 320f, keep an eye on them in the oven, should take around 50-60 minutes.
You can brush with milk or egg but that can harden the pasty.
Good luck
Cheers
Richard

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back