Hip replacement questions?

Check out some of the range of motion exercises PT will have you doing and give them a try before the cutting. I didn't know about any of them up front so I don't know what my base line range of motion was on the leg before surgery. So I don't have a before/ after comparison for that leg/ hip but its a little bit less than the other one.

Get some crutches before hand. The surgery center/ pharmacy ones are over priced when you can find them in thrift stores. And if you haven't been on them before don't shove em up in your armpits. Use your arms to hold the top part against your rib cage so it and the crutch are actually taking your body weight for you.

Try to have the first month or six weeks of recovery before things get snow and ice or slippery where you live.

And try to find your PT place ahead of time. Go around and do some meet and greets in person, see if they take your insurance, have openings and things like that. See how they handle it and if you like them
 
Last edited:
A friend that I hunt with had a hip replaced last week of September last year. He's aged 63. He shot an elk first week of November. He shot it down in the worst hole I've ever helped anyone get an elk out of, way below the road, thick brush, and steep enough that you had to put your hands on the ground climbing out. He had a lot of help getting it out, but he was still in and out of that drainage and he did the quartering of the elk. He also had a knee replaced a few years ago, and that took a lot longer to recover from.
 
My BIL had a double direct anterior hip (I think) replacement surgery. He was walking the next day with help and on his feet unaided within a week. He walked with a cane for a little bit but he had significant improvements right off the bat.

He decided to go to see his doctors after visiting with my sister and their kids a few winters ago. We went coyote hunting and I made fun of how stiff he was and how he was struggling to sit down on a hunting chair. He had always had issues but I guess that really hit him how it wasn't "normal" that he was as flexible as a 2x4 in his mid-40s and that his BIL was giving him crap about it. I forget what he had exactly, but his hips were essentially fusing with the sockets. A few months after the surgery, they visited again and we took them on a hike in the Rockies. I was hesitant given the surgery but he kept insisting saying he was good to climb mountains again. Well, he did as well going up as going down! He was pretty religious about physio, icing and doing his stretches, which I'm sure all helped.
 
Last edited:
Well, things have improved enough to be considered a return to status quo. I hurt pretty bad on the airplane last week, but something popped good one day and things have been on the upswing since. I resumed workouts this week with no adverse effects. I’ll spend the weekend hiking and hunting. That will tell a lot about what I can expect this fall.
 
Well, things have improved enough to be considered a return to status quo. I hurt pretty bad on the airplane last week, but something popped good one day and things have been on the upswing since. I resumed workouts this week with no adverse effects. I’ll spend the weekend hiking and hunting. That will tell a lot about what I can expect this fall.
Sometimes those pops give me a heart attack but then sweet relief.
 
Well, things have improved enough to be considered a return to status quo. I hurt pretty bad on the airplane last week, but something popped good one day and things have been on the upswing since. I resumed workouts this week with no adverse effects. I’ll spend the weekend hiking and hunting. That will tell a lot about what I can expect this fall.
If only my eardrums would do that.
 
It’s a sign you’ve led a good life bro. Those canyons are steep. As you know I had my knee replaced not too long ago. You’re in great shape and you’ll follow doctors orders.

It’s easy compared other surgeries I’ve had. My knee is the best it’s been since I blew it out in college. It’s painless and stable.

I packed out a deer a mile and a half with no issues 6 months later. Not a grinder, but evidence.

My orthos already no the plan for my right knee. When it’s time for more work we’re doing the whole damn thing.

It’s a gut punch, but your bada$$. I’m here for you. Let’s set a goal! That helps me. A hunt?
 
I know of 3 individuals that have had hip replacement done within the last 3 years, 2 were older gentlemen,(in their 70's) and were according to them up and walking within hours after surgery. They both went to rehab and used a cane for a short period of time, likes 3-4 weeks, and were fine without it after that. The last individual had to have both hips done, he is in his mid-40's. Yes I know young for that, but he played a lot of hockey, ( the goalie ), and was also powerlifting, he bragged how he would squat over 450lbs or more on a regular basis. He was out of work for a much longer period of time, was walking without issue after it was done. All said the surgery is done a lot differently then in the past, where they would cut across the grain of the muscle to do the replacement. Now the new technique is to separate the muscle without cutting and causing the faster recovery period. Good luck with your surgery.
 
Had my first ortho consult today. It was very enlightening and answered a lot of unknowns.

The PA showed me my x-ray and said he was surprised I didn’t come in with a cane. There is no cartilage left at the top of my hip joint. There are several bone spurs on my femur and pelvis.

He said my symptoms certainly don’t match my x-ray, and we should treat the symptoms. He said we should kick the surgery can down the road if we can. I’m starting a prescription anti inflammatory this week. He said I’ll likely need to jump through the PT hoop for insurance reasons, but it’s unlikely to do anything.

He said at some point the pain will increase and an injection will hold things at bay until surgery. No issues with return to work. No issues with chukar hunting. My running days are numbered. No heavy deadlifts. Not a great consult, not a terrible one. But, it did provide a lot more clarity.
 
Had my first ortho consult today. It was very enlightening and answered a lot of unknowns.

The PA showed me my x-ray and said he was surprised I didn’t come in with a cane. There is no cartilage left at the top of my hip joint. There are several bone spurs on my femur and pelvis.

He said my symptoms certainly don’t match my x-ray, and we should treat the symptoms. He said we should kick the surgery can down the road if we can. I’m starting a prescription anti inflammatory this week. He said I’ll likely need to jump through the PT hoop for insurance reasons, but it’s unlikely to do anything.

He said at some point the pain will increase and an injection will hold things at bay until surgery. No issues with return to work. No issues with chukar hunting. My running days are numbered. No heavy deadlifts. Not a great consult, not a terrible one. But, it did provide a lot more clarity.
Not the worst news in the world. Might as well get as much use out of the stock components before you swap them out.
 
Well, things have improved enough to be considered a return to status quo. I hurt pretty bad on the airplane last week, but something popped good one day and things have been on the upswing since. I resumed workouts this week with no adverse effects. I’ll spend the weekend hiking and hunting. That will tell a lot about what I can expect this fall.
@El Jason Jason My PT thought my bout of Trocanteric Brusitis may have been triggered by being wedge into a tight seat on our So. Cal flight this summer.
You may want to google that one
 
Sounds great. Devil’s Advocate, just be careful. My knee was destroyed due to poor medical care and me grinding, literally. I kept going until I could barely walk.

Doctors told me if I kept my knee strong I didn’t need surgery for my ACL at one point. I was a 600 plus pound squatter, so my trainer and doctors thought the functioning connective tissue and strength would keep everything in line. Little wobbles in my joint and bone spurs chewed up the joint.

Just be careful not to destroy the rim.
 
Had my first ortho consult today. It was very enlightening and answered a lot of unknowns.

The PA showed me my x-ray and said he was surprised I didn’t come in with a cane. There is no cartilage left at the top of my hip joint. There are several bone spurs on my femur and pelvis.

He said my symptoms certainly don’t match my x-ray, and we should treat the symptoms. He said we should kick the surgery can down the road if we can. I’m starting a prescription anti inflammatory this week. He said I’ll likely need to jump through the PT hoop for insurance reasons, but it’s unlikely to do anything.

He said at some point the pain will increase and an injection will hold things at bay until surgery. No issues with return to work. No issues with chukar hunting. My running days are numbered. No heavy deadlifts. Not a great consult, not a terrible one. But, it did provide a lot more clarity.
Ok , just my two cents , but that’s BS .
The Dr knows what’s wrong , the Dr knows what’s going to happen, eventually you will need surgery.
They put it off because of the insurance co , they want to try everything they can to avoid fixing you , one and done .
They want you to suffer with it as long as you can hoping you die before they have to pay to fix you .
The shots never work, long term anyway, it’s a bandaid .
I did the same with my shoulder , three years of no sleep from the pain .
Surgery fixed it overnight.
Did they do a MRI and I missed it ?
An X-ray isn’t really a good indicator of what’s really going on in there .
 
An X-ray isn’t really a good indicator of what’s really going on in there .

An x-ray is a good diagnostic tool for advanced hip arthritis. MRI would be used more to diagnose labral pathology/avascular necrosis.

Cartilage shows up on Xray as just a dark gap- when it’s gone, that’s where and why it hurts.

IMG_0699.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I said “so basically the tire has gone flat and we’re going to run on the rim till we go in the ditch?”

Him “zactly”.
I was thinking more like “these tires have some tread left, let’s burn them off on the way to get new ones!”

But I like your mentality better.
 
Ok , just my two cents , but that’s BS .
The Dr knows what’s wrong , the Dr knows what’s going to happen, eventually you will need surgery.
They put it off because of the insurance co , they want to try everything they can to avoid fixing you , one and done .
They want you to suffer with it as long as you can hoping you die before they have to pay to fix you .
The shots never work, long term anyway, it’s a bandaid .
I did the same with my shoulder , three years of no sleep from the pain .
Surgery fixed it overnight.
Did they do a MRI and I missed it ?
An X-ray isn’t really a good indicator of what’s really going on in there .
Insurance and the medical system (working together) can be real frustrating at times and its not getting better. But I think they out those replacements off for as long as they can because they're not permanent either ?
 

Forum statistics

Threads
120,104
Messages
2,249,884
Members
39,093
Latest member
other_waters
Back
Top