Hind quarter goat hide

sacountry

Can't stop thinking about the goat hunt. Question about the hide.....with full understanding that there's a big assumption of punching the tag....I'm leaning heavily towards a shoulder mount so I'm curious about what to do with the hide off the hind quarters. Is it common to tan it in order to make something with it later, like pillows, throws, etc? Also, looking for taxidermy recommendations in Northwest MT.

Yes, common to tan it just cuz it is pretty cool Even if you do not make something out of it.

Not sure what all I will do with my goat (assuming the arrow flies true). Probably just a hair on tanning.
Have a shoulder mounted goat already

I’m leaning towards a full body mount if I’m successful. I had my wife look at mounts online and she agreed so...

Send it to Moyle Mink in Idaho, they do good work and it won't be expensive for a half hide, $112. They'll take it fleshed and salted.
Good luck!

When I hunted my goat, I didn't start hunting them until November, because IMO much of the trophy is the LONG hair. The day that I shot him it was -5* F with 2' of snow when I started up the mountain. I shot an old large body billy, and HE HAD GREAT HAIR! My taxidermist wanted to do a full body mount so bad that he reduced the price by 50% of the difference between a full and half mount. I didn't have room for a full mount so had a half mount and had the back skin tanned.

I've almost forgotten that I have the back skin be on the wall in my reloading room, and I've regretted not having my goat full mounted for the last 42 years!

Goat hides are pretty cool. Underneath the long hair is a thick, soft wool. My daughter put her goat mount on a wall, with the back end hide on a chair underneath it. Looks great.

Just think of all the Fur-lined Jock Straps you could make out of that! One for special occasions and sell the rest to finance the hunt!

If there is any way to swing a full body mount with either finances or space you will not regret it. Shoulder mounts of goats really don’t represent them well in my opinion.
It’d be more or a space issue than finances for me. I got my house paid off and can’t see building a bigger one but I know what you mean. If there is one animal that looks best mounted whole it’s a mountain goat.

Have a goat tag in Montana for this autumn. Barely have room for another pedestal mount in a 4 bedroom home with two car garage that has one car in it. How large are homes that have room for full size mounts?

Have a goat tag in Montana for this autumn. Barely have room for another pedestal mount in a 4 bedroom home with two car garage that has one car in it. How large are homes that have room for full size mounts?

I’ve seen guys that put them in single and double wide trailers. I’m sure you could make it work...

I'd find room and money, probably sell something of my kids if I had to.

You don't get too many chances for a goat in the lower 48 if you're blessed with even one chance. When i draw a tag one day a fb won't even be a question.......

I think a pedestal mount would be incredible. I would also tan the back half. They look nice hanging on the wall or banister. Here are two very good taxidermists in NW Montana.

Custom Bird Works and the Big Game Connection - Missoula - Dale Manning. 406-543-5501 1615 Montana Street

Game Trails Taxidermy - Florence Steve Brett - 406-273-2210 5348 Florence Carlton Loop

Tanning: Big Bear Tannery - Darby 406-821-3231 -

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back