Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hillbilly Muzzleloading Hijinx, Day 2

dgibson

How I Spent the Second Day of KY Early ML Season, or, "Hey Guys, the Life of the Party is Here!...What Happened to the Party?...Guys?"

The second of two days of KY ML season started pretty much without incident. :rolleyes: Being less than a glutton for punishment, I decided to do the mini-western thing and walk in to the property instead of getting hung up again.

When I arrived on-site, I decided to go whole hog with the western thing and do a still hunt instead of stand hunting. The leaves were reasonably damp, so it wasn't a big deal to move up a couple of old logging roads. There were lots of acorns on the ground, though, so I still made my share of noise. :rolleyes: Anyway, I probably would have had better luck if I had set up somewhere, but I just didn't feel like sitting and doing nothing at that particular time. I'll get enough of that come November.

Bottom line of the day is that I didn't get a shot. I saw one doe about 100 yards away and on the wrong side of the property line. :( I did, however, see a small flock of turkeys purring and clucking their way to somewhere. I also saw about a billion squirrels, enough to make me seriously consider giving up this dumb deer thing and doing more squirrel hunting. I literally could have had a day's limit in about 45 minutes. I also saw a pileated woodpecker, which is a red-headed woodpecker about the size of a small crow. :cool:

So, I chose a less-than-ideal method of hunting for that particular area and probably blew my chances at seeing anything, but I did get to check out some spots for the upcoming Hillbilly Fest and got to see some cool wildlife to boot. Since I tend to hunt more for the experience, I would call that a good day overall. :D

And that, my friends, is that.

Ah, glad to hear that the second day went a little better! Still sounds like you had a good time, and, living back East, I'm sure you get more than one opportunity to hunt deer every year!

Oak

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back