Hiking in from across unit borders

TexanSam

Hey guys, quick question-

I'm fairly certain it is legal to do so, but I have a feeling it's probably one of those things that can be kinda grey in the eyes of a game warder, so before I bother the already understaffed government agency with my questions, I figured I would run it by y'all first.

In the unit I have a tag for this fall, there is a spot in the wilderness that looks pretty from google earth satellite imagery, but the nearest road within my unit is aver 5.5 miles away, and a few thousand feet in elevation change. That being said, about mile away, and about a half mile into the neighboring unit, there appears to be a pretty decent road that I could likely access in my pickup. My question is, would it be okay in y'alls opinion to simply park the pickup in the neighboring unit, and then make the hike over to check out that spot? And should I manage to shoot a deer in that spot, how would it look to a game warden who sees me loading into my truck with a tag on it for a unit that I am not parked in.

Thank you

Having spent several hours talking to a WY warden last week (long story but my normal CO archery partner has the General tag this year and witnessed a moose poaching - I was up there to help him pack a bull and we had to stop by and do some paperwork), I share your sensitivity to their workload this time of year, but 100% call the local warden.

I do what you are describing almost daily in archery season. Also during the day there are several places where I loop into the neighboring (draw) unit to take advantage of game trails or low saddles.

I spoke to our warden a few years ago and he said it was not an issue for him, but if I ever shot anything that subsequently went over the line to call immediately.

Hey guys, quick question-

I'm fairly certain it is legal to do so, but I have a feeling it's probably one of those things that can be kinda grey in the eyes of a game warder, so before I bother the already understaffed government agency with my questions, I figured I would run it by y'all first.

In the unit I have a tag for this fall, there is a spot in the wilderness that looks pretty from google earth satellite imagery, but the nearest road within my unit is aver 5.5 miles away, and a few thousand feet in elevation change. That being said, about mile away, and about a half mile into the neighboring unit, there appears to be a pretty decent road that I could likely access in my pickup. My question is, would it be okay in y'alls opinion to simply park the pickup in the neighboring unit, and then make the hike over to check out that spot? And should I manage to shoot a deer in that spot, how would it look to a game warden who sees me loading into my truck with a tag on it for a unit that I am not parked in.

Thank you

Short answer, as long as the gut pile is in the unit you have a tag for you will be fine.

Per above if questioned just be honest, give the approximate location of the kill and be prepared to walk back to the site with the warden, but there is nothing wrong with walking through a unit you dont have a tag for.

Yes, these guys are correct. I would mark the kill site on GPS to provide some certainty for the GW to save a trek back. Legal to park in one unit and hunt another.

Just something to keep in mind, is that there are a number of "sub units" and or units in various states that you can't access from any road and/or trailhead that's actually in that unit... so if the practice were illegal....

Last edited:
How bout this one... walking into your unit through another states border. Would it be legal to take the carcass back across the border to your truck?

I did this last year. I called the game warden and described exactly what you are talking about and he gave me the ok. However, he did state that if he caught me doing that in the field, without calling him and describing my plan, he would have an issue. He thanked me for giving him a call.

WG&F literature makes reference to this practice in their descriptions of public access on the interactive map on their website, i.e. you can access unit X by walking in from unit Y

Take a phone camera image at the kill site with gut pile, etc. The location can be taken from the image. GW should be able to check location even without going to it.

I did this last year. I called the game warden and described exactly what you are talking about and he gave me the ok. However, he did state that if he caught me doing that in the field, without calling him and describing my plan, he would have an issue. He thanked me for giving him a call.
so he gave you his ok to do something legal AND told you you needed his permission to do something legal??????????????????????????????

why would he have an issue if you hadn't told him, if it were legal??????????????
or is it illegal and he, in his infinite wisdom ,gave you permission to break the law????????????

so he gave you his ok to do something legal AND told you you needed his permission to do something legal??????????????????????????????

why would he have an issue if you hadn't told him, if it were legal??????????????
or is it illegal and he, in his infinite wisdom ,gave you permission to break the law????????????
At the time it was plan B that we came up with in the field. I didn't know if it was legal or illegal. I will lose my job over a game violation, so I always check with the powers to be before I move forward with a plan that I'm unsure about.

Stuff like this drives me nuts, and I hear about it all the time. It's either legal or it's not.

Not too long ago I called FWP to report people entering a WMA during winter closure. Turns out the bio for the area was letting certain hunters that asked their permission in there to hunt predators, completely out of the scope and regulations of the WMA. When I asked them if I could go in there to pick up sheds, they told me they'd rather I didn't, but I could keep any sheds that I found while in there predator hunting.

I understand that there's grey area and (eat your heart out wllm) nuance a lot of the time, but it sure can also feel like an abuse of power.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back