High Mountain Beaver Ponds

smarandr

The kids are all in school (for now), and my office is closed on Fridays through the end of September, so I decided to take a little fishing trip that I knew my boys wouldn't regret missing out on. There's a small creek spotted with beaver ponds I've always wanted to fish near where my family goes camping during the summer. However, access takes a little work since the Forest Service closed the road a few years back; not a big deal, just a 15 or 20 minute bike ride on an old two track that's starting to collect some deadfall for obstacles. Anyway, I arrived at the gate mid-morning, unloaded the bike, strapped my fishing gear to my day pack and started pedaling. I knew given the size of the water there wouldn't be anything big to catch, but I was hoping what the stream lacked in "quality" it would make up for in quantity. I ended up fishing for about four hours and actually had to work harder than I thought to catch fish; the water was extremely clear and the fish spooked at the slightest sign of movement. But I managed to reel in about a dozen sub 12" fish--most of them bulls with a couple of rainbows for good measure. The solitude was even interrupted by a ground-shaking low altitude training flight of F-15s that was interesting to watch.

A typical sized Bull Trout from the trip.
IMG_20200828_124742 - Copy.jpg

I think this rainbow was the largest catch of the day.
IMG_20200828_125659 - Copy.jpg

Google Photos helps be be a better photographer
IMG_20200828_135959-EFFECTS - Copy.jpg

Local engineering project:
IMG_20200828_141012 - Copy.jpg

Can you spot the fish? There's two in the shot:
MVIMG_20200828_140739 - Copy.jpg

Don't know if this will upload, but I managed to get a quick shot of one of the planes flying over:

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back