Caribou Gear Tarp

High End Stocks

To me the primary benefit is ergonomics. The right fit can get you a more repeatable cheek weld, hand position, LOP suited to you, etc. Those things help me shoot better more consistently. Factory stocks are not created equal either...some are so flexible as to be near useless, some I've found just fine. Nothing wrong with a decent factory stock. There can be some reduction in felt recoil IME, but it's a minor factor to me personally since I shoot pretty light recoiling rifles anyway.

I got to shoulder one of those Browning Hell’s Canyon McMillan rifles at Cabela’s on Saturday. Man, I liked that thing a lot. I see what you’re saying about ergonomics.

After much deliberation, I decided to order a Manners EH1 with the mini chassis for my Model 700 .300 WBY. It took nine months, and a bunch of pestering on the phone, but I finally got it last month, and finally got to shoot it for the first time today. Some observations:

• What @SnowyMountaineer wrote about ergonomics being the primary benefit of a nice stock like this was right on the money. I was shooting this rifle next to my Bergara B-14 and the difference in being able to quickly settle into a repeatable, comfortable position was remarkable. It’s the first stock I’ve owned with a vertical grip, and I don’t think I’ll buy another rifle without that particular feature.
• I noticed a significant reduction in felt recoil with this new stock compared to the original factory stock. I actually killed my first deer with this rifle years ago, and have a scar through my right eyebrow from getting scoped in the process—though that was no doubt due to some spectacularly poor shooting form. However, I’ll note that the old stock was walnut, and had a hard rubber recoil pad, so saying that this new stock reduced recoil over the old one isn’t actually saying much at all. Who knows? But I can say with certainty that it’s a hell of a lot more comfortable to shoot.
• The mini chassis added some weight, but eliminated the need for bedding the action—the idea of which intimidated me on such an expensive stock. Topped with a Seekins rail and rings and a VX5 the gun now comes in at just under nine pounds, which I can live with.
• If you plan on ordering a stock from Manners, add another few months to the finish date they quote you. I had to raise hell to get mine when I did, even at three months overdue.

4C903962-EF31-4CE7-88AF-6732EBB4C91D.jpeg

I didn’t find any outstanding loads this morning, but most loads that I tested came in at about 1-1.5 inches at 100 yards. I plan on working up some batches of 180 E Tips and 181 Hammers with RL26 when I have some time.
A big thank you to @cahunter805 for all the help and advice through the process.

Nice looking rifle. Is that the factory magnum sporter barrel and how much does the rifle weigh as you have it set up?

After a nasty horse wreck I had Dennis Olsen in Plains make me new one from scratch. Excellent product for not that much more than factory. The bottom line is does it fit - the hell with the cost.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back