High End Stocks

rtraverdavis

I have a Remington 700 action that I’d like to build on one day—when I can afford it—and wonder about the benefits (real or perceived) of high end stocks like Manners or McMillan. I’ve shot a rifle that had a Manners stock that really felt great (comfortable, light, absorbed recoil well, impressive fit and finish) but that is my only experience with a really nice synthetic stock.

For those of you with experience, can you really squeeze more accuracy out of a $700 stock than a $300 Bell and Carlson? (Hard to imagine a better group than the one Brockel just posted in the elk rifle thread using a B&C.) Do they hold up better? Is it mostly about the way they feel? Are they really worth spending that much extra for a stock on a hunting rifle?

B&C is plenty for me - my tikka, weatherby, savage and howa actions on B&C stocks shoot better than I can, so not sure what more McM could add for me.

To me the primary benefit is ergonomics. The right fit can get you a more repeatable cheek weld, hand position, LOP suited to you, etc. Those things help me shoot better more consistently. Factory stocks are not created equal either...some are so flexible as to be near useless, some I've found just fine. Nothing wrong with a decent factory stock. There can be some reduction in felt recoil IME, but it's a minor factor to me personally since I shoot pretty light recoiling rifles anyway.

To me the primary benefit is ergonomics. The right fit can get you a more repeatable cheek weld, hand position, LOP suited to you, etc. Those things help me shoot better more consistently. Factory stocks are not created equal either...some are so flexible as to be near useless, some I've found just fine. Nothing wrong with a decent factory stock. There can be some reduction in felt recoil IME, but it's a minor factor to me personally since I shoot pretty light recoiling rifles anyway.
I agree, but by way of comparison, I specked out a fully adjustable (even butt pad cant) B&C tactical varmint against same functionality McM two weeks ago. B&C $520, McM $900+ The B&C is in the basement waiting for install because I could not figure out what I was getting for extra $400. (fair to note this is for a f-class gun where I was going to add weight anyway, the McM might have been a little lighter but don't recall the specifics)

I agree, but by way of comparison, I specked out a fully adjustable (even butt pad cant) B&C tactical varmint against same functionality McM two weeks ago. B&C $520, McM $900+ The B&C is in the basement waiting for install because I could not figure out what I was getting for extra $400. (fair to note this is for a f-class gun where I was going to add weight anyway, the McM might have been a little lighter but don't recall the specifics)
No argument here. If weight's not a factor there are also some chassis options much closer to the B&C in price. If you can get the features and function you want without spending top dollar then it's a no brainer either way.

Nothing wrong with a BC stock but they are not in the same league as a Manners or Mcmillan.

Here all these years I thought the big advantage to composite stocks was the fact that they were mostly unaffected by moisture and temperature and were considerably lighter.. I didn't realize the size of one's man parts was involved to any great extent.

As far as I am concerned, most gun snobs, myself included, far away prefer the thin-shelled, English walnut from California over almost anything. There is some very gaudy Turkish wood out there but the quality of American grown English is second to none and one can get a heck of a slice for reasonable money.

That said, there is good reason to prefer good ol' American Black Walnut, but I don't know of as many places to find really good wood. It is probably just as readily available and I'm just not as aware of it as I am the California English.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back