Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

High elevation appetite

Great info guys, thanks! It helps making sense knowing the why behind it. It’s usually after a steep hard hike in.

Have any of you guys tried the prescription diamox? i also have symptoms from altitude for the first 24-36hrs and have been curious lately if this will help or not.

Have any of you guys tried the prescription diamox? i also have symptoms from altitude for the first 24-36hrs and have been curious lately if this will help or not.
I used it on one trip, it's proven to help as a prophylactic, but of course like any med it can have side effects. I felt weird and had tingling in my fingers when using it.

Following trips I had some on hand in case I needed to treat mild symptoms, but didn't use it.

I drink lots of electrolytes on the way out west the powder mixes try to get their a day or 2 early before actually going in to hunt area to get used to anything over 300 ft sea level and once I start to eat it seems like my appetite comes back to somewhat normal
Also the 1st day or 2 I go slow dont push to much trying to get my mountain legs know matter how much training I do Im still doing it in Pa and it takes me a bit to acclimate to the west

I feel like at higher elevations I have zero appetite and I literally have to force myself to eat. Am I alone in this? I’m considering taking a meal replacement shake and a few snacks instead of debydrated meals. I have no problem drinking water and figured it would at least be a way to get some sort of nutrition. Has anyone tried this or have experience with a powder?
I drink a lot of water and I’ll pack an extra plastic water bottle in my pack I use for mixing supplements since I won’t eat much. For me I try to go out a couple days early and on day 3 I think you can really feel that your body has adjusted

After hundreds if not thousands of days/nights about 10kft I'd agree with others sounds like mild AMS. I get it randomly about 5% of the time I go above 12kft and symptoms ranging from what u describe to fatigue to a handful of times raging headaches and blurred vision in a few extreme cases. The only cure there is descent And try again later. After a solid 2 days I'm acclimated. I've done some internet research over the years and it seems like amslike most things is somewhat genetic, folks can get it as low as 6 or 7kft, commented earlier, and some folks don't really ever get it.

I'd also 100% agree with the posts on physical exertion and lack of hunger. I've been training for a marathon all spring 50 to 60 mi per week and it's very counterintuitive but after my 20 mile long runs ive almost always got zero hunger or even desire to think about eating for 3 or 4 hours but really have to force down those calories.

It's a battle no matter what!

I used it on one trip, it's proven to help as a prophylactic, but of course like any med it can have side effects. I felt weird and had tingling in my fingers when using it.

Following trips I had some on hand in case I needed to treat mild symptoms, but didn't use it.
I attempted to use it before I went to Colorado last year as prescribed but it gave me super cloudy urine and the tingling all over, so I got off it before we even left. Not sure if I got any of the desired effects or not, but when I was peeing like crazy and super cloudy, I thought maybe I was shooting myself in the foot. I will bring it with next time, but not pregame it

I have spent quite a bit of time at high altitudes sheep hunting around the world. Was camped at 15000 feet in the Pamirs for two weeks once. Had little appetite at all. I began taking Green Tea and packets of honey,drinking lots helped me. No coffee. I have hunch it was the honey and liquid that helped. No altitude sickness.

Last edited:
Pre load five days before to increase your oxygen uptake:

Pre load as well as use during hunt as directed:

Use this electrolyte drink mix:

STAY AWAY FROM SUGAR during activity!

Hope this helps, good luck!

Back