Caribou Gear

High Country Muley Question

3855WIN

Son and buddy have a Colorado archery tag and have found a buck that beds in an unstalkable spot. He ask, “how do we kill him?”
What do the HT experts say?

I don't know squat, but maybe be in his bedroom when he comes back? It would be a one try deal, they'd either kill him or blow him out forever. But then again, maybe his next bedding area would be stalkable.(if they could ever find him again)

The thermals switching can make ambushing a challenge. Intercepting a feeding deer is a gamble they could definitely take, but if I was serious about killing one specific deer, I would wait it out.

What makes it unstalkable? I'm not saying it's not it's just an important detail. I agree w/ MNHunter. Also deer can't hear well when it's super windy, they might be able to come in high on his bed if it's blowing hard and he's not totally wind sheltered. Just depends.

Last edited:
Buck got up and fed into a small patch of timber, allowing sons friend to make a stalk. He had the smaller buck with him dead to rights at 20 yards, but could never see the bigger buck. Son was trying to hand signal him that bigger buck was just a few yards behind the satellite buck, but the stalker was never able to see him.
The next morning, the buck never left his bed out on an open mountainside.

So just try to come in from the top of the bed out in the open?

Back