High country Mule Deer habits

Chris g

So I drew a pretty easy to draw Colorado mule deer archery tag this year and I’m just trying to gather some insight. I plan on backpack hunting the first week of archery in the high country. Any tips on what type of terrain or features that I should be looking at, what side of the mountain they prefer, and what type of vegetation they like for that time of year? I’ve killed a few mule deer in other states but I’ve never hunted high country archery. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!

Shade... shade is everything. Look for the greenest areas with broken cover (some trees, rocks, ledges, etc). Saddles.
Look for more browse than grass such as: Mountain mahogany, bushy/leafy brush is a good start. Look for some slope in the terrain. Not a mulie expert, I just want to be. 😁

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Have your ass in your glassing spot well before glassing light. Don’t leave the mountain until the end of glassing light.

A lot depends on annual variability. Probably the highest elevation band of krummholtz, but not necessarily.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I drew a pretty easy to draw Colorado mule deer archery tag this year and I’m just trying to gather some insight. I plan on backpack hunting the first week of archery in the high country. Any tips on what type of terrain or features that I should be looking at, what side of the mountain they prefer, and what type of vegetation they like for that time of year? I’ve killed a few mule deer in other states but I’ve never hunted high country archery. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!
How did the hunt go?
Feel free to shoot me a PM.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back