Caribou Gear

High Country Hunt Knee Rehab

Everything that needs said has been said, but I've had three major knee blowouts and each one had a different approach to fixing, the one thing that remained consistent was the need for rehab. Surgery is literally only about 20% of the fix. Further, the insurance provided rehab is insufficient at best.

Take time to learn from your physical therapists so you can apply those practices at home on your own time.

I also highly recommend a good chiropractor who has background in physical therapy/sports medicine. I'm not talking about the bone crackers who have youtube channels, but a legit science first chiro. Reason being I found I really got out of whack with alignment and then would do things like favor my other knee and get hip/back pain. My chiro/therapist was very good for muscle stretching and strengthening.
Nice tip. I have one and he has really worked on my gait.

Last edited:
Scar tissue break up is fun! :-( On mine, they were doing the massage thing to bring it along slow, the PT had me on a bosu ball balancing on the round side and trying to touch the heal on my "good" leg on the floor (about 8 inches below my bad leg). Suddenly it tore. The sound snapped several PT heads around and she immediately said "get back on the table". The pain was sudden, lots and then gone. The scar tissue was suddenly mostly gone and no ill effects. Wasn't fun though.

My ex had an ACL surgery years ago and had scar tissue issues that left her unable to get full flexion/extension .... that was until she “chased” the dog through the house and hit where an ice cube had melted on the kitchen floor. Ass over tea kettle, a few tears, and the scar tissue problem was solved for the most part. I sure miss that dog......

I am 5 months out from partial knee and doing great, be religious about rehab exercises yourself and push your level of pain/discomfort while doing bending exercises. I was doing multiple sets of stretching/bending daily. 30 days out I was riding 2 horses a day working on keeping them in shape and keeping my knees moving (the doc said"please just don't fall off"). I have a total hip on the same leg and a few other replacement parts and a really important and underrated thing is emphasize walking CORRECTLY, not letting yourself rotate your hips favoring the stronger leg. I found myself ALWAYS starting up stairs with my "strong" better knee (the one with only 3 surgeries) every time. I had to consciously start using my new knee first to avoid further weakening of the muscles in the repaired knee. The bad walk started before the repair and had evolved to a rolling limp that screwed up my low back. I have a sports trainer that does deep tissue work once a week that helps quite a bit and keeps my low back loose. I have just started doing a 1,000 vertical/5 mile hike 3X a week to get ready for what will likely be my last elk hunt in really tough terrain (GMU 76 in Colorado early rifle). A lot of rehab is in the details of doing exercises properly and perseverance with some of the exercises that are painful. If you want to experience REALLY painful and slow rehab get a shoulder reconstruction! Been there and it makes the knee/hip deal seem like a cake walk.

Scar tissue break up is fun! :-( On mine, they were doing the massage thing to bring it along slow, the PT had me on a bosu ball balancing on the round side and trying to touch the heal on my "good" leg on the floor (about 8 inches below my bad leg). Suddenly it tore. The sound snapped several PT heads around and she immediately said "get back on the table". The pain was sudden, lots and then gone. The scar tissue was suddenly mostly gone and no ill effects. Wasn't fun though.
I will never forget, I had a trainer named Shin Shin Lin and she had a scar tissue therapy she called "The Tiger Claw." It was how it sounds. However, to her credit, my knee with The Tiger Claw therapy has no visible scars and wider range of motion than the knee without.

When most physical therapist say "can you handle deep tissue?" Shin Shin Lin says "here...hold my beer."

Wherever she is, I hope she is doing well. Her technique is still helping me 20 years later!

Well, game on started my pre hunt work out last week, climb 1,000 vertical in 3 1/2 miles 5 days a week to test the new pins. So far the climb is very manageable it is the decent that is giving me a problem. I think I just need to develop confidence that the knee will hold up if I slip. Climbing with either leg is fine, and as you can see from the picture of pasty white cowboy legs not showing any inflammation. Begining weight 210, time to cover the hike 42 minutes, goal 198 and 30 minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
I had tkr oct 2018, to this day, hiked yesterday, I can climb. Forever no matter how steep. Coming down is slower, call it confidence or something else.

Wife and I have a routine, she leads going up, I lead coming down. Put the slower one in the front

For me it's the feeling of strength as the knee bends that causes the caution

Well, I just got full clearance finally on my knee on Friday! I also had to have elbow surgery… hahaha… age. It’s been a long hard rode, but I’ve even ripped my mountain bike twice since the news. Cardio is doing well, and strength is solid. Stability is good, and pain is negligible. I am still spinning at least every other day, and am doing yoga again.

Starting to day dream of an alpine muley hunt!

Last edited:
Well, I just got full clearance finally on my knee on Friday! I also had to have elbow surgery… hahaha… age. It’s been a long hard rode, but I’ve even ripped my mountain bike twice since the news. Cardio is doing well, and strength is solid. Stability is good, and pain is negligible. I go to use with spinning at least every other day, and am doing yoga again.

Congratulations!

In my experience time on the bicycle is the ultimate rehab for sure.

Funny to see this, during training for a hunt coming up I actually over trained to the point of injury. I injured my patella and developed contusion of the patella to the point I almost fractured it. 6 weeks of doing nothing but PT, riding a bike and stretching. Following instructions to a “T” the doctor is being extra careful and said I can’t even go for a walk with my wife. So
Hoping after six weeks of being good I can start walking and work my way up to some hiking then some hiking with weight before august when I leave for my hunt. Also looking to purchase a bike as that sounds like a great way to exercise, keep some muscle in my thighs and help the knee, plus it will be great for training in the following years instead of all the high impact working out like I was doing.

Well, I just got full clearance finally on my knee on Friday! I also had to have elbow surgery… hahaha… age. It’s been a long hard rode, but I’ve even ripped my mountain bike twice since the news. Cardio is doing well, and strength is solid. Stability is good, and pain is negligible. I am still spinning at least every other day, and am doing yoga again.

Well done!

4 months 1 week since TKR. Checkup/x rays good...No pain, better than prescribed bend radius, strength coming fast. One weird thing: have to concentrate/train my mind not to limp and to trust the knee to initiate incline/decline tasking.

4 months 1 week since TKR. Checkup/x rays good...No pain, better than prescribed bend radius, strength coming fast. One weird thing: have to concentrate/train my mind not to limp and to trust the knee to initiate incline/decline tasking.

Ken when I was done with PT last year and was transitioning to just at home workouts they pointed that out with me as well. Asked me if I still had tenderness, said no🤷🏻‍♂️, then they asked me why I was “swinging my stride” rather than stepping through it? I’m coming up 1 year post TKR next week and still have to think it through at times. Believe it’s just the minds/body’s way of protecting. Prob is that if I’m doing too much of it the lower back complains as an indicator.

Similar to you and MarvB, I had to really think about stride and not limping. This became more important when carrying a weighted pack. After the first 1/4 mile or so I am just starting to get in stride, but practice definitely improves the stride over time.

I had both knees scoped years back. Shredded meniscus. Did backpack hunts one year 2 months after one knee and one before. Both were pains...lol.
Had not thought of them much til the other day when I smacked my left kneecap with a split chunk of round.
Golly gosh that felt good. Still sore and it was the good knee.
My right was the bad one and I favored the knee by kneeling on my left, still wear my left knee out on my jeans 1st. Makes it awkward using the left as a rest shooting. I have to think about it.

2 days of driving wood from the mill I had a limp favoring my left leg the last few days. But it is not my knee so much as the back nerves in the leg...disintegrated 6th & 7th in neck , from almost losing my head. War is hell.
I realized it was falling asleep on the couch with Rio next to me, head tilted. Neck stretching solved that quick luckily or it could go bad quicker. Been there too. Close to paralized at one time...
I noticed the gimp limp is the nerve in the leg bothering me now with the gait comments. Getting better.

Glad I have not had to have the surgeries you guys have ,yet.
Be aware of your surroundings and actions in your senior years. Stay in shape.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back