PEAX Equipment

Hidden tenderloin/eye of round

I would not use eye of round for jerky because it's like another tenderloin. Your best cuts for jerky is the top round or the bottom round.
Scratching my head on this one. It's one of the tougher pieces in the leg, and not even comparable to the actual tenderloins.

I love these little guys, they make great steaks/kabobs.

It's a decent cut I used to cook up, but now I make jerky out of it because I like the the top/bottom rounds better for steak.

It's not important I prove someone wrong on the internet, but just FYI
"The Eye of Round is a nice looking, long, cylindrical cut, but honestly I just don’t think much of it. It’s the toughest cut on the round and something we do not normally offer at Tony’s. Occasionally folks will think they can pass it off as tenderloin since it is similar in shape – but don’t make that mistake, especially in front of company!"

From https://tonysmarket.com/understanding-beef-round/

Agree w, that it’s not comparable to a tender. I like to put a dry cure on it, coarse pepper the outside, cold smoke for a “hunk” or “chunk” jerky

Scratching my head on this one. It's one of the tougher pieces in the leg, and not even comparable to the actual tenderloins.

LOL, we can agree to disagree. The eye of round has a muscular structure very similar to tenderloins but much less tender. Least according to the experts out there. However, slice it across the grain when you serve it and cook them same you do a roast. Cooked right, the eye of round goes from tough to very tender and rich in flavor. I cut pencil size holes in them and put whole cloves of garlic and pearl onions inside the meat. Both help to break down the muscle and tenderize it naturally. Then I season it same as I would a chuck roast. Comes out really good.

A hint with the eye of round before you cook it as a roast. Sear it in olive oil with some basil in it for about 2-3 minutes per side. Then put it in a slow cooker or crock pot and cook the same you would a chuck roast. Comes out very tender and tasty. You want to get all sides seared so you want to keep flipping it around so that happens.

I wonder if that is the same cut as we call the Salmon fillet?
Its a kind of paler looking piece of meat.
Sounds like it, and I agree, very tender.
Cheers
Richard
In the North East the inner loin "tender loin" is often referred to as the Fish.

I like eye of round for sure, but don’t find to to be all that tender compared to the loin, let alone the tender loin. I never grind it though. The real under utilized piece of meat is very similar to eye of round, although probably more tender. It runs along side the esophagus. One on each side. It’s about the same size and shape as the eye of round. I just love it. The rest of the neck gets roasted.

I like eye of round for sure, but don’t find to to be all that tender compared to the loin, let alone the tender loin. I never grind it though. The real under utilized piece of meat is very similar to eye of round, although probably more tender. It runs along side the esophagus. One on each side. It’s about the same size and shape as the eye of round. I just love it. The rest of the neck gets roasted.
How do you cook this eye of neck or whatever it is called?

How do you cook this eye of neck or whatever it is called?

Cut it into medallions, wrap with bacon and sear it on the grill, or wrap with bacon and smoke whole, then cut into medallions to serve. I pretty much do that with backstrap and tenderloin as well. All rare to medium rare.

Back