HEY MOOSIE

D

Dick Reece

Where's that coyote-turkey combo story you were gonna put up,I was looking forward to reading about it ? And thanks for the elkaholic link,haven't had a chance to look yet,but I bet I'll like it!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 04-16-2003 12:08: Message edited by: PC Mechanic ]</font>

Well the Elkaholic site hasn't been updated in years,.. But I might be able to someday
wink.gif

So, for the story... We found this awsome place that we spotted some turkeys on earlier inthe Day, We headed around this ridge and dowwn this finger of a canyon. We called every now and then just to check the air. We got a response to our right. The area is HArd to describe. try to picture us on a ridgeline looking over the Right side and that side being the Thick North facing slope with much brush, trees, and undergrowth. there was a little opening but not much, We hunkered down thinking we could call this Stupid bird accros the canyon and up out side. Looking across we were looking at Open hillside, with trees at the ridge line. I'm assuming every south slope was open like that and Every north looked like the one we were looking down....

After about 10 mins of working this thing.. I finally saw it come to the edge of the trees. It got quiet and was hesitated on crossing in the opening.. Hell, it was 1:15ish and sunny out, but the sucker was a gobblin' and a horney as ever I guess ?!?!?!

I'd let a few mins go inbetween the clucks of the Box I was using and then do a random Cluck. Sometimes I'd chock that clucker and you could see that Gobbler go nutz !! As the talking progressed, I used my 1 day of practice "CHARM" on that gobbler and drew him out nto the opening. Was awsome looking aout 500 yards accross the canyon at this Redheaded small black spot that would puff up to 3 times it's size every now and then.

well.. I stopped working it as I looked up the Canyon and to the Right of us up there was a Damed ol' Yote sneaking in... We watched it work down the canyon smelling as it went, Creeping right along. I was Regretting not having the Video camera becasue I knew that there was going to be a turkey feast and It wasn't me doing the feasting
smile.gif

I wish I had a better endingto this story and I could make one up real quick... But the result was I think that Gobbler started running down the hilltwards up and Held up in the trees. The Yote wanted to come our way bu felt the Greed of my Shotgun and wanting to blast that sucker.... It went away and disapeered as quick as it appeared.

Was cool all in All, we tried working that bird some more but I think It decided that it wasn't in the mood any more...

the lesson here is probably something, But I just don't know it right now.. MAybe it's to bring the 300 MAG along Turkey hunting
tongue.gif

Great story Moosie, if there was two of you hunting,maybe one could tote a .20 cal rifle while the other toted a shotgun ? Or, you could invest in an over-under,though they're kinda heavy to carry.

I'm planning on turkey hunting in the morning here [season closes at 1300] and then yote hunting in the evening.

I guess you could place the shooter out 500 yards in front of the caller?!? No way to get closer and call some more then without giving yourself away?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back