Here's a cat pic

View

Here is a pic of a nice male lion I treed a few years ago. The person in the picture is a good friend of mine and he actually shot the lion.

I went out hunting one day after 6" of fresh snow. As I was by myself, I stopped at a friend's house to see if he wanted to go with me. He said, "I gotta stay here and get some things done, but if you find a track, come back and get me." So it was that I drove up a nearby canyon and darned if I did not find a track. I went back and got him. He dug around and found a backpack, loaded up some candy bars and such and dug out an old .357 and some cartridges from under the truck seat. We went back to the track and turned the dogs out. They made some wonderful music as they raced up the steep, snowy mountain on the lion's trail. We hiked as fast as we could, but they were soon out of hearing. We trudged along for another hour before we finally heard them "treed!" We were excited and ran as fast as we could to get to them.

When we finally reached the tree, we could not believe our eyes. There, not ten feet off the ground was a huge tom staring down at us. We watched him for a few minutes as he quietly layed on a big branch. After a while, I tied the dogs back and got ready for Paul to shoot.

At the crack of the pistol, the cat jumped and landed back on the branch, and looked for a way out of the tree. Unfortunately, the direction he was looking was right in the middle of the dogs! I yelled for Paul to shoot him again and this time when he pulled the trigger, we heard, CLICK. About this time the cat jumped (clearing the dogs fortunately) and ran down the steep slope at full speed. I turned the dogs in and shortly everything was quiet. The lion was dead and the dogs were wooling him down the hill. We later found that only two of the cartridges in the pistol were good, the rest would not fire. Thank God we did not need any more!

We skinned out the lion and got back to the truck just as the sun was setting. This was an exciting hunt and one I will never forget, I just wish we would have taken more and better pictures of this great cat.

This cat is listed in the Boone and Crocket Record book under Paul Brown.

------------------
"The worst advice you can give a person with a sour attitude is to be himself"
[email protected]

Nice Picture,My granddaughter love's this stuff.She has us read the story's to her whenever she comes over.Got to love this kid.

------------------
Debbie

Heya Boomer,

Great to hear from you! I'v been out playing in the snow mostly, took a small vaction from work and been doing some hunting. How has your hunting been going?

------------------
[email protected]

BCA, I've been running them short legged hounds called beagles. Them whaskally wabbits have caught hell. I haven't ran my big dogs in a couple of weeks. I figure I will run them this weekend as long as the rain holds off. Been pooring around here lately. How have you been doing?

Boomer

Boomer,

I hunted with Beagles in LA a few years back and I had a ball. I got such a kick out of those dudes bawling in the brush. You'd have thought they were after a grizzley bear! Show us some pictures of your dogs! I am kind of bummed today, our lion zone closed down because the quota is full. Around 200 lions taken in the state so far, maybe the most taken in history. Maybe I should go wabbit hunting, know anyone with dogs?????

------------------
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Bear Creek Adventures (edited 02-14-2001).]

bcat,
Yeah, it doesnt look too good for me this year. I just listened to a voice mail from eric and the news was bad. Sounds like there is only a couple of areas left open in the state. The zone we have been hunting is now closed. Well see what happens.Most likely it will be next year. I'll just give that big tom some more time to get BIGGER. In the mean time keep your stories and pictures coming, I love it. If I keep reading the stories on this site I am going to want to have my own dogs. I can tell what a thrill it is to the guides when their hounds are doing exactly what they were trained for. As far as my hunt, I guess thats the way the ball bounces. Theres always next year.

BCA, I just happen to know somebody!!
smile.gif
I promised bcat pictures of my hounds over a month ago and I still haven't taken them. I have a three day weekend this time so I will try to get pictures of my dogs. I only own one beagle my dad owns the rest, but I still them all the time. If your ever this way, I would take ya on a rabbit hunt. Our season ends the last day of February. The rabbits are getting scarce around here. They have been hunted hard all season. Early next year there ought to be a good bunch of them again. Just let me know if you are ever this way.

Boomer

Cuban,

We'll get him next year!

Mountain Boomer,

We'll do!! If you are ever out this way, look me up also! We have LOTS of cottontails here, I really don't know why there are no rabit hunters here.

LeftBehind,

Thanks, I will!

Thanks for the posts everyone!

------------------
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Bear Creek Adventures (edited 02-16-2001).]

Back