Caribou Gear Tarp

Here piggy piggy piggy.

I seem to recall most of the farms/lodges in South Africa build their coolers with concrete block. Works better in hot climate? Or may have more to do with scarcity of wood for construction. I'll ask around when I'm there next month.

Generally in tropical/near tropical climates, concrete is better than stick lumber construction. Termites can’t take down concrete.

I was out and about this morning and ran across a nice little herd of piggies. I saw them, they didn't see me. I whacked 4 of the tasty little 80 pounders. About 2 hours later they were in da box.View attachment 230931
Perfect sized. I hunt the pigs not too far from you. Did you shoot them out of larger group of pigs, or was it just the four? Reason I ask, is I've learned my lesson and have ended up shooting a few larger non-eaters due to not having others to compare to. Those 80-100lb varieties are just the perfect eaters.

Perfect sized. I hunt the pigs not too far from you. Did you shoot them out of larger group of pigs, or was it just the four? Reason I ask, is I've learned my lesson and have ended up shooting a few larger non-eaters due to not having others to compare to. Those 80-100lb varieties are just the perfect eaters.
There were probably 10-15 maybe more. There were a mass of the little guys we call watermelon pigs because of the camo stripes. There were a couple nursing sows and large boars. I picked out some from the mid pack. They were crossing shots so pretty easy for figuring what I wanted.
Where abouts are you in CA?

I'm in SoCal, HB. Sounds like you had the ideal shoot scenario with others around. Those larger sows and boars are not worth a bullet. I'll take a 100lb pig or less for sure over anything else. I'd always take a couple good cuts and then have the rest turned to sausage at a place in Greenfield. Think the guy's name was Horst, and he made some incredible swiss sausage.

We're 400 miles apart! Any of the herd pigs are good eating but the larger boars can be tough. We make sausage and pepper stix out of most of the meat anyway. We cut the hams in half so get 4 packs per pig. The ones I just got gave us 16 ham packages/meals and 70# of ready to grind sausage meat.

Can't you simply destroy the older pigs? The damn things are a blight. When working at Yosemite I went to a coworker's place to destroy a giant sow in trap. He wasn't a gun guy. Later he brought some of the sausage to work and I thought it was okay. I was shocked that the state was only issuing one tag @ $40. Hell, looking at the damage the damn things were doing, the state should have been paying people to shoot them.

It used to be no limits on pigs. Then the issued a booklet of 10 or 20 tags free, supposedly to monitor the take. Then they charged for a book of 10 I believe. Next is was a per pig tag at $20.00 each.
If CA thinks they can screw you out of $$ they will. Pigs destroy crops, grasslands, fences, watersheds, etc. They are dangerous, destructive and taste good.

I'm in SoCal, HB. Sounds like you had the ideal shoot scenario with others around. Those larger sows and boars are not worth a bullet. I'll take a 100lb pig or less for sure over anything else. I'd always take a couple good cuts and then have the rest turned to sausage at a place in Greenfield. Think the guy's name was Horst, and he made some incredible swiss sausage.
Hey
Hogs in socal? Where? I spent days in cleavland nf and all I saw was squirrel, 🪳, snake, and that's all. So where in socal? What else do you hunt? Do you want to get together for some hunt? I'm up for waterfowl, upland, 2 and 4 legged, winged or not. It's the experience that counts

It used to be no limits on pigs. Then the issued a booklet of 10 or 20 tags free, supposedly to monitor the take. Then they charged for a book of 10 I believe. Next is was a per pig tag at $20.00 each.
If CA thinks they can screw you out of $$ they will. Pigs destroy crops, grasslands, fences, watersheds, etc. They are dangerous, destructive and taste good.
I actually read on one of the California forums a while back, that in 2024 Ca will
Be going away from pig tags and going to wild pig validation card which allows you to take multiple pigs without needing multiple tags. I didn’t see specifics posted and didn’t look into it. But sounds like it will be a positive in the future.

I actually read on one of the California forums a while back, that in 2024 Ca will
Be going away from pig tags and going to wild pig validation card which allows you to take multiple pigs without needing multiple tags. I didn’t see specifics posted and didn’t look into it. But sounds like it will be a positive in the future.
It's supposed to be July 2024. It gives them plenty of time to change it so they can add more fees to it. Nothing that CA legislature does is a positive for the residents.

The Boss just put in a request for more pepper sticks. I've been wanting to try a couple different sausage flavors. I guess I'm going pig hunting in the near future. I'm glad she's always up for helping to skin and butcher. She's not to good at dressing them out but can skin one better than most.

It's supposed to be July 2024. It gives them plenty of time to change it so they can add more fees to it. Nothing that CA legislature does is a positive for the residents.
Very true can’t argue there

We're 400 miles apart! Any of the herd pigs are good eating but the larger boars can be tough. We make sausage and pepper stix out of most of the meat anyway. We cut the hams in half so get 4 packs per pig. The ones I just got gave us 16 ham packages/meals and 70# of ready to grind sausage meat.
I’ve heard they taste as bad as they smell so this is refreshing news. Look forward to hunting some hogs in the future!

Good haul, partner!

I’ve heard they taste as bad as they smell so this is refreshing news. Look forward to hunting some hogs in the future!

Good haul, partner!
I have heard from other guys that they have gotten some really rank pigs. What they said was as soon as you start to dress them out you will be grossed out. Luckily so far I've never run across one. It could be that I'm not after the bigger ones.

Nothing on the docket to be introduced this year as it relates to pigs, near zero chance of anything changing with this bill....which unfortunately continues to exclude night hunting.

Hey
Hogs in socal? Where? I spent days in cleavland nf and all I saw was squirrel, 🪳, snake, and that's all. So where in socal? What else do you hunt? Do you want to get together for some hunt? I'm up for waterfowl, upland, 2 and 4 legged, winged or not. It's the experience that counts
There are no pigs in OC I’m aware of. Hog hunting in SoCal is from Tejon ranch, and Santa Barbara county. Heads North from there. Most hogs are on private land.

Back