Help with trying to plan preference points

I have really been trying to build points on a limited budget and this will be my second year of trying to build points but I still don't fully understand a few things and was hoping for a little help on a few questions I have.

First question: I am applying in Arizona for elk and deer with the understanding that I could only pick one species per application. Is this correct or can I apply for others such as antelope along with elk.

Second question: I have been buying preference points in Utah since it is fairly cheap year to year but I just read that say for deer the premium units are run by bonus points. Does this mean my preference points are no good for say the Henry mountains?

Third question: I also purchased the $50 bonus point for elk deer combo in Montana. I have a hard time understanding this also.. Is this only good for getting a general lisence and will not help me in a limited entry drawing?

Sorry for all the questions I am so new to all this but was hoping on getting a jump on hopefully having some good DIY hunts in the future but feel like I may not be accomplishing much in this daunting task of applying for tags.

Thanks for any help!

I can help with the AZ question, the rest will have to wait for someone else.

One species per application in AZ. You won't be applying for deer now - antelope and elk are the only species they're taking applications on this cycle. Deer and sheep comes later in the year.

If you apply online (pretty much your only choice now since the deadline is Tuesday and it's not a postmark deadline) you'll pay a $7.50 fee for each app you submit. If you draw, your credit card will be dinged the rest of the cost at that point. Make sure you use a credit card that doesn't expire between now and April - last year several people would have drawn but were rejected because of credit card failure. Pretty crummy feeling for them, I'm sure.

Best of luck on your apps and hunts.

Third question: I also purchased the $50 bonus point for elk deer combo in Montana. I have a hard time understanding this also.. Is this only good for getting a general lisence and will not help me in a limited entry drawing?

On the MT. bonus point you bought that is only a bonus point to draw a general tag it will not help you at all in drawing a special permit. You must put in and draw the general tag before you can purchase a special permit chance. Sadly you wasted $50 because the general tag in MT. hasn't sold out in two years since the price changes went into effect as well as the bonus point law. MT. doesn't have the easiest system to understand this issue just skims the top of the issues there at the present time.

Thanks guys! That helps a lot now I know not to do Montana again this year and that I might as well apply for antelope and sheep in Arizona since it is only another $15 on top of my cost for deer and elk.

your prefrence pts are no good for the limited entry deer. the are good for general deer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back