Help with points systems

Pa Bowhunter

I'm lost on this point system thing

We don't have a point system in PA Or units so I have questions

Do I need points for an otc archery tag in colorado
Are there units that my otc tag dose not cover
Is there a map or info on units I can and can not hunt with otc

Any info on the points thing will be appreciated

OTC shouldn't require any points. You just gotta pay the man:) I can tell you this, the fish and game website for Colorado is actually REALLY good in my opinion. It has a real nice interactive map that has a ton of info.
http://cpw.state.co.us/

Check it out, it is a really good site.

In CO for example, OTC = no points. And yes there are very specific maps / instructions on which units OTC licences are good for. Some low demand draw units, or second choices, or leftovers, or reissues also = no points. I think PA does run a bonus point system for their elk draw. There's another whole can of worms. Bonus points -vs- preference points. Welcome to the party. You can now count on dedicating a good portion of your life to reading regs from the various states... and not out of obligation, but for FUN!

Last edited:
Colorado is one of the few states that will mail you the brochures. I don't recall if its an online request or you need to call them to request them. They are very helpful to read cover to cover and make your notes then take in the field with you.

OTC = Over the counter IE ‘General Season’ requires zero points you just have to buy the license and tag and get after it.
If you have the funds , I’d strongly recommend getting the GoHunt app and do your research there. It’s far & away the best tool out there for the data you’re after. Good luck this season.

I'm lost on this point system thing

We don't have a point system in PA Or units so I have questions

Do I need points for an otc archery tag in colorado
Are there units that my otc tag dose not cover
Is there a map or info on units I can and can not hunt with otc

Any info on the points thing will be appreciated

You can currently hunt CO every year for elk if are able to hunt archery. There is some discussion of making all elk tags part of the draw as was done with deer in CO many years ago.

If you plan on building points so someday can draw a limited entry unit where likely will be less hunting pressure then you can read up about that on the CO F&G website and by searching for old threads on this website and other hunting forums. And can ask questions here as things change from time to time.

If you plan on building points in multiple states then there are some options you can pay to access, GoHunt, Hunting' Fool and Epic all help give guidance on where to build points and what hunts you might be able to draw with your accumulated points. Eastmans also does something similar.

The rule of thumb is it will cost more over time to apply and more when go to buy the tag when you actually draw the tag. States will change the point system in ways over time that hurt your chances to draw. Point creep is such that the best tags for a lot of species are now effectively one in a decade to once in a lifetime for a non-resident.

The flaw with all point systems is there are only so many tags so you should not expect to draw the best tags even if all tags were awarded in a random draw but with a point system, anyone that wants to start participating a few years after a point system begins such as you, has much, much worse odds than if was 100% random for those high demand tags. Look at Wyoming moose. If 100% of the non-resident moose tags were awarded randomly then your odds in 2019 would be 4x higher if you started applying and building moose points. Since you were not participating early on when the moose point system launched in WY then your odds are degraded. As are the applicants the began 5 years ago and 10 years ago. The applicants that were around early on though have closer to 100% odds now. Is loyalty being awarded? Not very well as the "loyalty" of the past 15 years of new applicants have the same odds you have now. Yes, loyalty is an odd term when applies to only about 2% of multi-year applicants for moose.

Good luck on your hunts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back