Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Help with Bighorn bonus points

Slick

Hey all, new to this forum... After reading thru the topics, there is a wealth of knowledge here. This is the first year I will buy bonus points for any state, period. The process of trying to understand every state and what to do is overwhelming to say the least. I've been trying to do my homework, but some is hard to figure out. I would like help picking apart the layout below, as I know something is wrong. It has to be.(Warning: This might be a lengthy post)

Montana (Resident)
Liscense Fee: $130
Conservation Fee: $8
Bonus Point Fee: $2
Total: $10
Wyoming
Liscense Fee: $2,252
Application Fee: $14
BP Fee: $100
Total: $114
(one of the more expensive states to get a bonus point in)

Idaho
Liscence Fee: $2101.75
Hunting Liscense: $140(ish)
Application Fee: $14.75

(Idaho doesnt use a bonus/preference point system, so nevermind)

Colorado
Liscense Fee: $1916
Habitat Stamp: $10
Process Fee: $3
Total: $13

Utah
Liscense Fee: (Dont buy the tag upfront)
Basic Hunt Lisc: $65
Bonus Point Fee: $10
Total: $75
Nevada
Liscense Fee: (Dont buy tag upfront)
Big Game Fee: $10
Hunting Lisc: $142
Total: $152

I wont be actually applying for any tags in the next few years, because of school and I cant afford to draw a tag and go on a hunt...yet, but I want to get started for Desert BH and Rocky Mtn BH.

So for states that have desert bighorns, do I just tack another $10 on there?

And for the tags you do pay up front do you pay interest on your credit card even though you get refunded... I'm not good with that, as I dont ever use my CC.

Not to be a downer but starting to buy preference points in Wyoming at this point is propably a waste of money IMO. You are so far behind everybody else who has already bought points that it will propably never happen becasue of your spot in line. Buzz is right that there are areas that drew tags with 12 points last year but you have to remember there are thousands of people ahead of you in that line with more points.

Best bet is to start saving money instead of trying to draw a tag and go to Canada when you can afford it IMO.

Hunting the unlimited areas every year is propably a great idea as a resident of MT.

Just wanted to clarify that if you spend $100 for a preference point in WY, and $100 bucks or more in every other state you propably end up at around a grand every year not to mention fronting several thousand dollars in fees. Instaed of spending that just save it up and in 10-15 years you can go on a sheep hunt guaranteed. That was what I was trying to say.

Both my parents drew sheep tags in WY in less than 5 years back in the early 80's. My dad also has his stone and dall but hasn't been able to draw a desert in 35 years of trying in several states.

Last edited:
Slick,

What Wyoming556 said...may or may not be true.

If you look at the random draw odds for Wyoming sheep, you'll find that the random odds top many of the resident draw odds for sheep in Montana. Plus, NR's are drawing sheep tags with 3-4 points less than max in a few Wyoming sheep units.

I apply for ANY and ALL states where I have even a remote chance at a sheep tag. Doesnt matter if the odds are 1:3000...that beats the odds of not applying, which truly reduces your odds to ZERO.

Also, the way that point schemes change at the drop of a hat...I'd just pony up the money and play the game. We all started somewhere...and you HAVE to apply to draw...its that simple.

A good friend of mine has drawn a chugach sheep tag and a tok sheep tag in Alaska, a Montana Sheep tag as a NR, and also the Raffle state-wide ram tag in Idaho. He was also second runner up in the Oregon raffle tag a couple of years ago.

His optimism has kept me in the drawing game many times when I've about given up.

Oh, and I finally pulled a desert tag in AZ last year...it does happen.

Good luck!

Try a MT unlimited area. If you are young, in great shape or have ponies, it would be a great chance to get a decent ram.

I am two of those Toad, and I recently moved to Bozeman, so the opportuniy is there, I realized that and have been pouring over maps of the Beartooths.

Buzz great advice, it seems discouraging at times, but someone has to draw.

It would take me more time then I would like to think to save up 10+ thousand dollars to shoot one of these buggers.

The unlimited area sounds like the way to go for now, I wouldnt even mind tagging along and being a pack mule for someone.

You have to do some serious scouting to get them before the quota is filled. You basically have 2-3 days TOTAL before the season is over. Just remember to not overlook the lower areas closer to the creeks if it is a hot dry year. We used to hunt the dudley creek area in the Gallatin and they always seemed to fill the quota down low next to the trailhead instead of up in the peaks where we always went, damn it. :)

Don't rule out Idaho. Although they don't have bonus points, the draw odds on some of their units is better than Montana resident odds. Also, in Idaho you must choose between moose, sheep, goat, so it lessens the competition a little bit.

JLS Idaho uses a true lottery system right?

I havent ruled them out, but if thats the case, I wouldnt be able to get the proper time off from school to go on the hunt, let alone afford it. So applying for Idaho might be a few years down the road.

I watched a video on youtube the other night of guys hunting the Crags? in Idaho (I think) looked like some phenomenal country.

Slick, how old are you? If you are under 30 I think it would be worth applying in Wyoming for sheep. More people are dropping out each year than most people realize.

JLS Idaho uses a true lottery system right?

I havent ruled them out, but if thats the case, I wouldnt be able to get the proper time off from school to go on the hunt, let alone afford it. So applying for Idaho might be a few years down the road.

I watched a video on youtube the other night of guys hunting the Crags? in Idaho (I think) looked like some phenomenal country.

Yes, Idaho is a true lottery system. Sounds like you are on the right track, build points now and then apply in Idaho once you are done with school.

The Bighorn Crags are awesome, but if I were going to try to hunt Idaho I think I would fly in to Cold Meadows and backpack out to Big Creek.

I don't put in for the NR sheep tags, it doesn't have the allure to me given what it costs. I went with a friend who drew a tag and that was good enough. I'm happy hunting elk and mule deer:D

That said, sheep hunting puts you in some pretty phenomenal places at times.

You have to do some serious scouting to get them before the quota is filled. You basically have 2-3 days TOTAL before the season is over. Just remember to not overlook the lower areas closer to the creeks if it is a hot dry year. We used to hunt the dudley creek area in the Gallatin and they always seemed to fill the quota down low next to the trailhead instead of up in the peaks where we always went, damn it. :)

That's not necessarily true. I'm not going to put a number on it, but many times the quotas go unfilled.

Surprisingly, yes. Assuming the quota has always been two sheep and the online harvest reports are correct, it went unfilled in 2007, 2010, and possibly 2005 but there's some funky stuff going on with the report so I'm not sure about that year.

If you study the draw system in Wyoming, you will figure out real quick it would be a waste of time to start from ground zero there. Hell I dumped 8 points to get out of that game one year after they started charging $100 nonrefundable. I don't regret it. Even at 8 points back then there were way too many ahead of me to sniff a preference tag. Just a really bad investment.

You have to pay to play, plain and simple. You will never draw a tag for sheep if you don't increase your odds. Sure, it may be a waste of money as many of the preference points systems are a glorified pyramid scheme, but the random draws give you a chance. If you save for 30 years to get $30,000 and plan to go to Canada, the price will probably be $100,000 by then. Look at the price hikes hunts for good elk, moose, or caribou hunts over the last 5 years, nearly double in some places.

I spend alot of money each year playing the odds, buying points, applying and it simply sucks. I will never be able to afford a bighorn hunt any other way as while I could probably afford $30,000 in 20 years, the price will undoubtedly be over $60,000. Hunting is becoming a big money game for the rich when it comes to elite animals. That isn't necessarily a bad thing either as these same wealthy people dump alot of money into restoring herds and fighting battles that allow the rest of us a chance to participate if we are lucky. There is good and bad to both sides.

FWIW, you can often get by with only buying a license in UT every other year. The licenses are good for 365 days from date of purchase.

I'm far from good at math, but I agree with what many have said. If it's going to take at least 10 years to save up the scratch (don't know what you're going to school for and therefore your future earning potential) the price increase will probably rise faster than you can save. At least that is true in my current financial situation. So, I apply for sheep in the states I can afford now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back