Help with baiting??

antlerrick

Here in Utah you are not allowed to begin baiting until the first day of the season. Also, you are only allowed one bait site. Can any of you give us any good ideas to improve our success knowing that our baits will probably not be hit for a couple of weeks after setting them up. Any tricks of the trade from you more experienced hunters?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
a*r

A bad day hunting is better than a good day at work!

I was just talking last night with a cousin that used to be a guide in the Clearwater in Idaho.
He told me they would use restaurant grease and dog food. They would dig a small hole, build a small fire and work quite a bit of this old grease onto the fire to burn, then have another hole close by that they would poor dog food into, and pile big logs onto it, ones to big for the smaller bears to move very well. The smokey grease fire would attract most of the bears from down wind up to his site with in a few day's, and the grease that was around would be tracked all over the place so as to leave a calling card for others to follow back to the site. He also stated that he wouldn't need to bring in much baiting material in because the grease is so smelly that seemed to be attractant enough...
I don't know if this will help much, we can't bait up here, but if some one finds some use for this, than great...

Me and a hunting partner set up one bait site last week and did a burn. I'm pretty new to the baiting deal but Ray, my partner, knows alot of the tricks. The burn (burning the grease) will coat the trees and stuff as the wind carries it down into a draw. It creates a "slick" kinda like chumming for sharks.

I personally dont burn the grease. I let the jellied grease stick on the tree's and as it warms up the grease melts down the trees around the area. I also mde some bear lure last week. I used
2 bottle of Vanilla imitation extract
1 bottle of thick strup to make thicker
1 bottle of cherry extract
1 table spoon of mint extract
2 table spoons of Anise extract
1/2 bottle of Rootbeer extract
Boiled it all together and ended up with a 32 oz gatorade bottle full. I then took it up and dipped a sock from each bait site into it and let it drip. Each time up I will do this.
I bought a bottle of that Bear lure from sportsmans and that stuff was $12 for a 4 oz bottle which barely let me put any out for scent. So everyone I ran into I asked what it smelled like and that is where I came up for the ingredients for my stuff I made. I still have 3/4 of a bottle after dipping the socks and It didnt cost me nothing to make it till i replace my wifes stuff from kitchen which will run me about $15 for 32 oz. Which if I bought 32 oz of that bear lure it would of run me around $100.
Just a thought.

Thanks for all the ideas. Our biggest problem is that we don't have a very high density of bears in this unit. I think if we can locate some good fresh sign and use some of the above tactics, we will have a great chance to score. I had a permit on another unit a couple of years back which only had 1 permit, and we tried a lot of the above ideas, but to no avail. I think this year will be different, especially with some of the tips that have been provided. One thing we tried was burning honey! Man, did that create a smoke screen and a sweet smell. I could still smell it a couple of days later.
Any more tips, keep posting, always eager to learn more!!
Thanks everyone!!

LAst week We took the Greese/Juice /fat from a HAm that we cooked in a Slow cooker... We boiled it up at the Site for scent. We also took old Oil from a Turkey Fryer and Cooked that to a Boile too and Poured it out.

We use oil/greese around the Site for Bears to walk through and Track it back up the Hill to leave a Natural trail for any new bears to hit and Follow back. We've dumped 2_5 gallons of Grease, 2-3 gallons of old Turkey cooking oil, and Some other stuff... That along with Vanilla and Anise oil we set out in Jars in rock outcroppings so they can't get too There is no Question that scent is getting out...

All that being said, I hear that bears can Smell up to 5 miles.. LIke Blood to a Shark @ 2 miles.... Whether that is trueor only 1/5th true... It doesn't take much smell to get bears in.

One thing that We've found is Consistancy. If you find a Good spot, Keep at it, Each year it get's easier to hunt and better. there is Always bears that will remember it from the Year before and check it right away after coming out from the den.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back