MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Help with a float trip.

Bowaddic

I'm Looking to take my son and two nephews on a DIY fishing camping trip in the west. My son and one nephew are active Air Force we are all avid outdoors men. We are open to anywhere in the US just looking for a epic time spent with the outdoors and family. It can be a float trip or canoe trip rivers or lakes. Thanks for any suggestions.

I served 8 years in the Air Force and it was a great decision! I would recommend the Boundary waters in Northern Minnesota! It's not out west but its a great time!

I served 8 years in the Air Force and it was a great decision! I would recommend the Boundary waters in Northern Minnesota! It's not out west but its a great time!

A friend of mine recomended the Boundry Waters as well and thank you for your service. Both my son and nephews wives are also in so we have 4 in the family in the AF.

Multiday John Day River smallmouth trip in Oregon. Missouri River based out of Headhunters Fly Shop in Craig MT. Depends on what experience you’re after. Lots of great options.

Upper Madison just after runoff.. anywhere between lions bridge and Ennis lake. The smith if you can get a permit.

I found the Grande Ronde in OR and WA was a heck of a trip. There's a couple of IV near the very end but you can take out before then. It's a beautiful spring trip. Tons of wildlife along the river that time of year.

If you are looking for epic, look in to what it takes to draw a permit to float the Middle Fork of the Salmon or the Selway in Idaho. Both would require some serious logistics to do it DIY but would be more than worth it.

Upper Madison just after runoff.. anywhere between lions bridge and Ennis lake. The smith if you can get a permit.

Yeah right - Upper Madison:rolleyes:. Bowaddic, you'll have more solitude and less irritation at the bumper boat attraction at your local urban amusement park......

It wouldn't be a good fishing trip but the Green river between mineral bottom and the confluence with the Colorado has got to be one of the best canoe trips in NA.

greenriver.jpg

If you have whitewater experience I would suggest looking into any of the Idaho 4 Rivers lottery (Snake, Main Salmon, MF Salmon, Selway) permits, go to recreation.gov. You could also look at doing a lower Salmon river trip, but would have to wait until runoff is over, there is a class 5+ at high water. Most of these have class 4 rapids so you better know what your doing.

The Smith in MT is a permitted river, some class 2. Great float, great fishing. You can find info on the MT Game & Fish site.

The Wild & Scenic section of the Missouri River would be another class 1 trip canoe or raft. I haven't done it but it is on the list.

Most of these have outfitters nearby so you could rent gear if you didn't have it.

If you are ok with walleye, bass, and pike, the BWCA and/or Quetico can be a great time. You can make it as strenuous or relaxing as you'd like. The mosquitoes can be ferocious. If you like flyfishing and trout, look farther west.

Wow all good options I really appreciate the suggestions. Keep them coming please. I was wondering is there a trip that can be fished in the summer and hunted (Deer) in the winter ? That way in the winter we have been down it once before.

Almost every one listed can be fished in the summer and hunting in the fall. Just a matter of getting tags.

You might want to take a look at the Salmon River in Idaho between Challis and Northfork, fairly easy float, campgrounds, OTC tags for elk and deer, public land in most areas. Drift boats, rafts, pontoons, etc.. Other Idaho rivers would be the South Fork of the Snake, below Palisades, Henry's Fork below Ashton (mostly private land).

Lower Salmon/Snake in Idaho. Put in at Whitebird, take out at Heller Bar. No permit needed. Fish for steelhead, bass and trout. Shoot chukars all day long.

It depends on time and resources, but ive been on lots of water and it's tough to beat a float down the noatak in Alaska... pleanty of good fishing and the last truly remote stretch left

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back