MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Help! Which Unit to Apply for in WY

ibhuntin

I am hoping for some advice. I have recently moved to Wyoming, and will be a resident later this year. But I have to apply for elk as a non-resident. The good news is I have 6 preference points. So I am looking for a unit I can draw (regular or special), for a rifle hunt that has good numbers of elk and public access. I want to DIY, and wilderness is out unless anyone knows of an outfitter that would customize a hunt in Area 61 or something. I would maybe pay a reasonable trespass fee. Not looking for the monster - in fact after 15 years out west I have yet to kill a bull. Came close a few times, but just couldn't close the deal.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you become a resident before elk season...you CAN hunt the wilderness without a guide, even though you have a NR elk tag.

Thanks Big Fin. I have reviewed the units across the state. Lots of options and have looked hard at the bighorn units but just don't know much about any of them. Will keep researching though.

Good luck on the draw! I also have 6 points and have been putting in for 62 for the past 9 years, I'm from Wa St and hope to draw this year but it's a tough draw. Again good luck and remember to put in for two units, I believe you don't loose your points if you draw the second choice???

Good luck on the draw! I also have 6 points and have been putting in for 62 for the past 9 years, I'm from Wa St and hope to draw this year but it's a tough draw. Again good luck and remember to put in for two units, I believe you don't loose your points if you draw the second choice???

Don't feel bad, I've been putting in Unsuccessfully for 8 years in area 62..........and I live in this area!!!!!!!

Actually, he'll lose his as soon as he becomes a resident... not sure how that works though if I moves away within 2 years...:confused:

"Actually, he'll lose his as soon as he becomes a resident... not sure how that works though if I moves away within 2 years.."

He won't lose them as long as he keeps applying for a license for that particular species. My buddy in Sheridan has been in and out of state and has also been purchasing PPs for moose, sheep, and goats every year wherever he's lived at the time and they keep accruing and will be used when he retires and is a resident and can draw the tags. He may actually be in better shape to draw a moose tag next year while he's back working in ND than if he stayed a Wyoming resident.

"Actually, he'll lose his as soon as he becomes a resident... not sure how that works though if I moves away within 2 years.."

He won't lose them as long as he keeps applying for a license for that particular species. My buddy in Sheridan has been in and out of state and has also been purchasing PPs for moose, sheep, and goats every year wherever he's lived at the time and they keep accruing and will be used when he retires and is a resident and can draw the tags. He may actually be in better shape to draw a moose tag next year while he's back working in ND than if he stayed a Wyoming resident.

Moose, sheep, and goats are different though... as a resident, he can buy a point as well but with elk (and deer and antelope), as a resident, he can't buy a PP for those species since there is no PP draw system... Pretty sure you can't buy a NR PP as a resident...

I am a resident and I have deer and elk PP. they are from the time I was a NR. It is possible for a resident to have PP

CoryG---I didn't say he was buying those three species PPs when he was a resident! He was buying them all as a NR and the deer, elk, and antelope when he was a NR.

Last edited:
I am a resident and I have deer and elk PP. they are from the time I was a NR. It is possible for a resident to have PP

I know... but you can't keep them after 2 years... 2 years without purchasing a PP negates your NR PP... And you can't purchase NR PP as a resident... The statutes allow for retaining PP on moose and sheep regardless of residency but not deer, elk and antelope...

CoryG---If you buy a license for a species at least every other year you also maintain your PPs. That why he still has his on his account even though he is now a resident.

CoryG---I didn't say he was buying those three species PPs when he was a resident! He was buying them all as a NR and the deer, elk, and antelope when he was a NR.

I was just trying to point out the difference between moose/sheep and deer/elk/antelope... With moose and sheep, residency is irrelevent as far as PP. He can buy them as a Res or NR and they accumulate the same... deer/elk/antleope don't work the same and I just wanted the OP to know that... Not trying to step on anyone's toes...

CoryG---If you buy a license for a species at least every other year you also maintain your PPs. That why he still has his on his account even though he is now a resident.

That's correct... for moose and sheep.

Starting January 1, 2013 you have to actually purchase the NR PP within 2 years to maintain your points for elk/deer/antlelope...

Here's the link to the regs... Section 21 is where they discuss PP...

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/Departments/Hunting/pdfs/REGULATIONS_CH44_AUG20120002819.pdf

When I moved back to Wyoming my NR elk/deer/goat PP's came with me and were in the system for 2 years until they were zeroed out - except for pronghorn which was zeroed out when I drew as a NR that year.

As a side note, my residency kicked in that year in May. I verified and had in writing that I could apply in Jan as a NR with my pp's and pay the NR fees. If I didn't draw, I could apply in May as a Res and pay res fees. I had 2 chances at my elk tag that year and still didn't draw! :eek:

- Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back