Caribou Gear Tarp

Help Request in Montana

StrutNut

Looking to get out west in 2012. I do not get the opportunity to get out there that often. The last time I was out there was 2002 in CO elk hunting. It was a DIY hunt on public. I did harvest a nice cow on the 2nd to last day of the hunt. A friend and I are looking into Montana as I would like to try to tag a bull, any bull and maybe even a mule deer as I have never hunted for them. The only issue is my buddy is not a fan of the Grizz so it would have to be in an area without Grizz. Any ideas? This would be a DIY Archery hunt.

Thanks!

Most of the sections in the central and eastern part of the state that would fit the bill. You'd need to draw your elk/deer combo tag and then put in a for the special archery tag, which is just about a guarantee when listed as your first choice. The deadline is March 15th for your combo tag. I think the deadline is June something for the limited archery, but I may be wrong.

Don't hunt near the purple if you don't want to see grizzlies. I wouldn't stress about it too much though.

Attachments

• RangeMaps_RangeMap_AMAJB01020.jpg
    RangeMaps_RangeMap_AMAJB01020.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 218
I'll be out on my first trip to Montana this year.I'm also not hunting in the grizzly/wolf areas.I've had some help from a few people.If I do well,and their alright with it, I can pass on some imfo after the season.I doubt they'd have a problem with me sharing,but I'll have to make sure
I could also help you a little if you planned on a Wy. or Co. hunt.I like hunters that do it the hard way and try and help when I can.Some guys on here will probably offer you some suggestions.Get on google earth and talk with biologists to narrow things down for yourself

The SW corner of the state got pounded by snow (and hunters) last year. I would expect the upcoming hunting season to be pretty tough in those areas.

Don't be scared of the griz though. You're odds of tripping and impaling yourself on a broadhead are probably 10x higher than being attacked by a bear.

Thanks for the ideas, I live just a little too far away to scout much and have a limited amount of vacation time every year. Don't have the funds for hiring a guide so OYOA's are right up my alley.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back