Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Help! Need some ground blind ideas

JB Florida

Hi Yall,

I put in a while back to Hunt of a Lifetime
To take a Child with a terminal illness on his dream hunt. As you know, We have several whitetails here in Alabama.

Anyway, it turns out I may draw someone confined to a wheelchair. This throws a kink into a sure thing buck hunt from an elevated stand to a gray area for me.
I just do not hunt from the ground much unless its spot and stalk.

Has anyone used one of the pop up blinds that is on the market now?

Or do you have a suggestion?

I can get them anywhere, its just the stand
that we have to contend with! :D

Thanks in advance,

The other JB makes an appearence. Howdy JB, I've hunted from a ground blind. I've had excellent success using a popup ground blind.. We throw a GI net over it and stick cut branches ans stuff in there. Helps break up the outline.. good luck. It's a good thing you're doing...

:cool:

JB, my ground blinds in NY consisted of sitting in a pile of rocks or logs. I would build them up with logs and branches to where I wanted them. For my seat I had a highback bucket seat from a Volkswagon. It was very comfortable to say the least. Have never used a tree stand or an elevated stand.

Cabelas has some on sale now that look like a pretty good deal. Something like 60 bucks, pops-up, you can stand up in it, and compacts into a 24"X2" disk. Might want to check it out on their website.

I havent hunted from blinds much but I wanted to say thats really an AWESOME thing youre doing and I hope you can get that kid a deer! Things like this really help to put some much needed positive light on the hunting crowd. When was the last time the Antis gave up their time to make a dying kids dream come true? They dont give a chit they would rather save a spotted owl. Anyway, some of my buddies hunt ground blinds and have success. They usually build them out of timber and stuff thats in the area, but adding some limbs and sticks to a popup might be easier for your situation. Again, I really admire what youre doing and hope more programs like that come along in my area so I may have a chance to do the same. Good Luck on your hunt and please post the story and pics.

Thanks Guys,

A hand saw, a screw gun and some deck screws will do wonders to some crooked cedar trees.
I just picked several so that 2 sites will always be down wind during the Fall!

And ...... Thanks for the encouragement!
I will let you know how it goes!

Good luck to ya guys JB.You are doing a wonderful thing JB.
My ground blinds consist of logs in an L shape and I sit in the middle of it.One morning I was heading to my blind and I had a doe bedded down in it.

JB! It is very commendable what you do...There are a few things you can do..You can use natural vegitation to conceal your young hunter...Available just about any where and can be gotten on a moments notice...Another good thing is the camo cloth covers that most sporting goods stores carry. It can be draped around the hunter or on them. Then a little natural foliage to add to some of the surroundings. This way, your not locked into finding a completley perfect surface and setting for the blind and wheelchair.... :D

Back